Which hard case for flying?

What's Hot
DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
I am flying out to Vienna at the beginning of April and as yet do not have a decent hard case for my guitar which will be going in the hold.  After having a look round at the various options i have narrowed it down to two: The Fender ABS case (latest version) and Hiscox Standard Liteflite.  The guitar i am transporting is a Fender which is worth around £500.  Which of these two would be better or is there a better case out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hiscox, and try to take it onboard rather than checking it in
  • Yup, gigbag and carry it on and if you have to, check the case in with the luggage. Win win.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    We have already booked space in the hold for our instruments, so if I tried carry on then it would be a waste of paid for hold space... 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017

Which hard case for flying?

I think you need a Jumbo case, or a case for a Jet guitar! D

On a serious note, I concur with Hiscox suggestion - very tough, rugged cases.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Hiscox every time.

The Fender cases aren't as strong as they look.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30874
    Sylvester Stallone, deffo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Thanks :D Will check what is in stock at the local emporiums and pick one up hopefully this weekend!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2017
    ICBM said:
    Hiscox every time.

The Fender cases aren't as strong as they look.
    The other advantage with Hiscox cases is generally they're no bigger than they need to be.

This doesn't relate to flying but it's a pain getting suitcase style cases into smaller cars.  That extra couple of inches can make all the difference with it fitting in the boot vs needing to go on the back seat (meaning you can't conceal it from view).  Guess it doesn't matter in America where everyone drives a truck or SUV!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    That extra couple of inches can make all the difference with it fitting
    Sorry, we're still talking about guitar cases yes?  Just checking! D 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Hiscox
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
    edited March 2017

tae be or not tae be
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Make sure you get some extra inserts to prevent the guitar from moving about inside the case. Alternatively bubble wrap may or may not be the answer.

I've got a hiscox and a strat, and to say it rattles around inside the case is a bit of an understatement.

Hiscox cases may be hard as nails, but because they are generic, they don't give you the fit inside.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah i will probably either get foam for extra padding or use t-shirts etc... have some bubble wrap lying around :)
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Agreed Hiscox. Though maybe don't quite do what I did a couple of years back.

I took a Les Paul in a Hiscox Case. Slackened the strings a bit, and carefully padded the interior of the Case around the Guitar, particularly around the Headstock. I used all my underwear, and socks for this purpose, and the Guitar looked snugly padded.
    My journey required me to change flights in Amsterdam. I got to my final destination, but the Guitar didn't get put on the second flight, so it arrived along with all my socks and underwear 2 days later!
    Agreed Hiscox. Though maybe don't quite do what I did a couple of years back.

I took a Les Paul in a Hiscox Case. Slackened the strings a bit, and carefully padded the interior of the Case around the Guitar, particularly around the Headstock. I used all my underwear, and socks for this purpose, and the Guitar looked snugly padded.
    My journey required me to change flights in Amsterdam. I got to my final destination, but the Guitar didn't get put on the second flight, so it arrived along with all my socks and underwear 2 days later!
    Yeah i did wonder just that... So will make sure i have a few days clothing just in case ;) 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Yup - having to wear the same stuff for 3 days was not my planned intention.
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Hiscox. 

One of my cases has done 30 odd flights, and it pretty beat up now.. A latch has broken, the case cracked in two places. But when it fell off a pickup truck in Bahrain a few years ago and got ran over, the guitar inside remained unharmed. 
  • Fender guitar? Take the neck off, bang it in a suitcase with your clothes in two pieces!
  • Hiscox, Hiscox, Hiscox. All day long. They should make tanks and battleships out of the things - they're bomb proof. 

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    fandango said: Hiscox cases may be hard as nails, but because they are generic, they don't give you the fit inside.
    They do make them fitted on the inside to suit particular guitars, including one for a Strat/Tele.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/hardcases.asp?brandname=Hiscox

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/