Band Advice drugs.......

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I've read the entire thread and think it's a tricky one. 

Years ago, most members of a band I was in smoked - I tried it a few times but just didn't like it. So having given it a go, didn't bother again. I didn't (and don't) make a moral judgement - after all - how could I? I've smoked the stuff - the fact I decided it wasn't for me was nothing to do with morality.

In later life, I've become more 'hard line' anti-drugs - largely because of my ex-wife's psychotic episodes, which have been linked to her earlier use. I saw someone I loved become another person - in a way I simply could not have imagined or envisaged. It's been heartbreaking. I'll never know for certain if weed was the cause - but her treatment team were 'very' interested to try to establish when I attended a case conference, what I knew about her drugs history. 

As as I understand it, there is an established link between psychosis and cannaboid use in some people. We have a son - so clearly I have immense worries around any susceptibility he may have, given his genetic make up. For this reason, I could never support legalisation.

I think if you're uncomfortable about it, you should bail out. Not a 'right or wrong' matter - it sits uncomfortably with you - that alone is sufficient justification.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    Without going through the whole 4 pages (I've read a few posts though)

Firstly, when you were younger you get jumped by the dealers, not your own mates, your older now and wiser.

As for the new situation, the only thing I can say is, if it affects the band, then leave. I mean, if the performance of them takes a serious dip as soon as they come back after a toke at practices and they are likely to do the same at gigs, it doesn't look too promising.

A while back I asked for band advice on here and I left out certain information deliberately, but PM'ed some wise heads on here about it. However this thread is close to home so I might as well let it out.

Our singer always has a Beer on the go at rehearsals and does have a bit of a toke at fag break (I don't). Now this is OK with me, but I'm still weighing up it's affect on him and still don't know whether he will turn out to be a liability, I'm giving it a trial until end of April which is when I think we should be gig ready.

From what I've read, rehearsals are sparse, way too sparse.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Ok so I broached the subject with the guys

They have agreed to not smoke weed around me, I guess I can't really ask for more. 

Despite my Binary, Extreme, Entrenched, Unusual,views ( copyright @Gassage ; ;) ) I'm willing to see if we can make it work. 

I guess sometimes you have to tolerate somethings, I have been very successful in removing elements I find undesirable in my life thus far, however I also found myself with no band, no friends and no social life. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

I have been very successful in removing elements I find undesirable in my life thus far, however I also found myself with no band, no friends and no social life. 

You're stuck with that in any band :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888

They have agreed to not smoke weed around me, I guess I can't really ask for more. 

Despite my Binary, Extreme, Entrenched, Unusual,views ( copyright @Gassage ; ;) ) I'm willing to see if we can make it work. 

I guess sometimes you have to tolerate somethings, I have been very successful in removing elements I find undesirable in my life thus far, however I also found myself with no band, no friends and no social life. 

Good for you mate.

And © is done by Alt G ;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Nice one. I know I'm late to this but it boils down to whether you're enjoying it or not. Also if you like the sound you're producing.

I'm not keen on some aspects of my band's viewpoints/behaviour but I love them all enough to get on with it. Similar to Eric we talk about our kids, aliments and retirement plans. It's like a family or marriage - is it still working? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @professorben After this thread you need to go and chill with a lovely doobie..!

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited March 2017
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    @professorben I do think you've a remarkably polarised view on the drug issue per se.

I do, however, totally get the band issues (two seperate things in my mind) and I also agree that it's unprofessional and it's clearly not comfortable for you, so I'd suggest you neck it off.

I smoke pretty much every eve but I'd never smoke during rehersals or gigs (as noted above, I lose all sense of pitch when I smoke- can't tune a guitar as an example).
    I could say the same back to you, as a user I'd say you are struggling to associate the recreational activity with the criminal and damaging aspect of drug use. 

Do you grow your own
    and then harvest it ?

Does that supply enough to keep you in hash given you smoke pretty much every night?

Buy it from someone?
    Who? 
    What do they do with the money?
    Where do they get it from? Presumably in much greater quantities?

Who supplies the supplier??

For every, Jesse there is a Tuco. 
    Damaging aspect of weed use? How many stoners do you see arrested for fighting on a Friday night?

Yet alcohol is legal?

Any criminalisation is created by the people who have crimainalised it because they can't yet tax it.

Aligning weed with Crystal Meth really underlines a very poor understanding of the dynamics

The dynamics are identical, the effects of the substance are different. 

As far as I see it, number of fights I've been involved in due to Alcohol = 0 vs fights due to Weed = 1 

my point is not about the effects of the drug on the human body, it's about the associated criminal element that goes hand in hand with obtaining a controlled substance. 

This is why the  current  legislation does not work, if it  was legal the criminal drug trade would Be wiped out over night, and a Knock on effect would  be crime would be significantly reduced, less people would od, and the cash used to half decent purposed not going into the hands of criminals 
    Gassage said:

Good for you mate.

And © is done by Alt G ;)
    Yeah it was late and I couldn't remember how to do it, anyway I was wasted and my hand was sore from fighting......... :o

cheers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

my point is not about the effects of the drug on the human body, it's about the associated criminal element that goes hand in hand with obtaining a controlled substance. 

So decriminalising it (it is partly decriminalised already) would meet with your fullest support I assume?

Re aggression, there's SO many studies that proof conclusively that alcohol is simply the most destructive drug in society when it comes to aggression, domestic violence and social violence. One study suggested it was 40 times worse than weed.

The Police themselves would absolutely agree with that too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/20/researchers-have-finally-found-out-why-youre-such-a-mean-drunk/?utm_term=.24cd49f3cb1c

Well according to the .Gov website it's a Class B narcotic, possession wins you 5 years in jail, an unlimited fine or both. 

The government (under advisement from experts prob far more qualified than you or I) deem it as dangerous as Barbiturates, Amphetamines and Ketamine. 
    If they're using it at rehearsal and driving home they are also committing an offence of driving under the influence of illegal drugs, as well as creating a risk to themselves and others.

Alcohol is a more destructive drug because it's far more commonly used or misused as we seem to have a poor understanding of how to drink responsibly and it's effects make it a great conduit for being violent or undertaking criminal activity. However, saying cannabis is okay because alcohol is worse is a bit of a spurious argument.

Sorry this is absolutely not true, alcohol is a poison, it effects everything it touches, it stops the brain from absorbing vit  b and thiamine, the brain damage alone is enough for it to beat most illicit drugs, then of course we get onto the liver damage, ulcers physical and psychological dependance etc,,
    cannabis is the 2nd widely used drug and it has one tenth of the above issues, granted its not safe but safer than Alcohol.... 100% 

How do I know this, my job is a substance misuse practitioner, and in the last 15 years my bread and butter clients have been alcohol dependant, have a guess how many cannabis users I have ever worked withor  referred to by the police etc..?... :) 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573

Holy shit. A discussion on a forum has actually made a tangible, useful difference in Real Life.

Nice one, mate. Sounds like it was a productive conversation :) I too miss the social aspect of being in a band...nowadays, the only social interaction I get on a daily basis is with the dogs, the wife or the people at the shop next door.
    <space for hire>
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    @professorben I do think you've a remarkably polarised view on the drug issue per se.

I do, however, totally get the band issues (two seperate things in my mind) and I also agree that it's unprofessional and it's clearly not comfortable for you, so I'd suggest you neck it off.

I smoke pretty much every eve but I'd never smoke during rehersals or gigs (as noted above, I lose all sense of pitch when I smoke- can't tune a guitar as an example).
    I could say the same back to you, as a user I'd say you are struggling to associate the recreational activity with the criminal and damaging aspect of drug use. 

Do you grow your own
    and then harvest it ?

Does that supply enough to keep you in hash given you smoke pretty much every night?

Buy it from someone?
    Who? 
    What do they do with the money?
    Where do they get it from? Presumably in much greater quantities?

Who supplies the supplier??

For every, Jesse there is a Tuco. 
    Damaging aspect of weed use? How many stoners do you see arrested for fighting on a Friday night?

Yet alcohol is legal?

Any criminalisation is created by the people who have crimainalised it because they can't yet tax it.

Aligning weed with Crystal Meth really underlines a very poor understanding of the dynamics.

The dynamics are identical, the effects of the substance are different. 

As far as I see it, number of fights I've been involved in due to Alcohol = 0 vs fights due to Weed = 1 

This is whythe current  legislation does not work, if not was legal the criminal drug trade would Be wiped out over night, and a Knock on effect would  be crime would be significantly reduced, less people would od, and the cash used to half decent purposed not going into the hands of criminals 
    Actually I think it won't ever work, the decriminalisation of cannabis simply takes the pressure off the user, but there is no legitimate taxable supply infrastructure in place to supply, I don't know how it works in Holland, but I guess it will take time to set up, especially as importing previously controlled substances will be a very expensive process so, without taking into account Brexit, it will still be cheaper to buy off dodgy Dave than the legitimate suppliers.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Gassage said:

So decriminalising it (it is partly decriminalised already) would meet with your fullest support I assume?

Re aggression, there's SO many studies that proof conclusively that alcohol is simply the most destructive drug in society when it comes to aggression, domestic violence and social violence. One study suggested it was 40 times worse than weed.

The Police themselves would absolutely agree with that too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/20/researchers-have-finally-found-out-why-youre-such-a-mean-drunk/?utm_term=.24cd49f3cb1c

Well according to the .Gov website it's a Class B narcotic, possession wins you 5 years in jail, an unlimited fine or both. 

The government (under advisement from experts prob far more qualified than you or I) deem it as dangerous as Barbiturates, Amphetamines and Ketamine. 
    If they're using it at rehearsal and driving home they are also committing an offence of driving under the influence of illegal drugs, as well as creating a risk to themselves and others.

Alcohol is a more destructive drug because it's far more commonly used or misused as we seem to have a poor understanding of how to drink responsibly and it's effects make it a great conduit for being violent or undertaking criminal activity. However, saying cannabis is okay because alcohol is worse is a bit of a spurious argument.

Sorry this is absolutely not true, alcohol is a poison, it effects everything it touches, it stops the brain from absorbing vit  b and thiamine, the brain damage alone is enough for it to beat most illicit drugs, then of course we get onto the liver damage, ulcers physical and psychological dependance etc,,
    cannabis is the 2nd widely used drug and it has one tenth of the above issues, granted its not safe but safer than Alcohol.... 100% 

How do I know this, my job is a substance misuse practitioner, and in the last 15 years my bread and butter clients have been alcohol dependant, have a guess how many cannabis users I have ever worked withor  referred to by the police etc..?... :) 
    I don't understand what bit you are saying isn't true. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

Holy shit. A discussion on a forum has actually made a tangible, useful difference in Real Life.

Nice one, mate. Sounds like it was a productive conversation :) I too miss the social aspect of being in a band...nowadays, the only social interaction I get on a daily basis is with the dogs, the wife or the people at the shop next door.
    Do you want a hug??

tbh I'm the same, which was why I was loathe to leave, we can chew the fat on the Great Modelling Showdown ©Professorben 

eh @Gassage ? Look, I'm learning 
    :3 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    To be honest, if that's what they want to do then let them, if they were smoking heroin or crack that would be a different matter zbut weed, I can't see an issue with. 
    To let someone's personal choice which should not effect you, being a deciding factor to continue the  band, sounds like something you may regret on the long run.
    That's all well and good, but when it comes to gigging venues tend to frown on bands who stink of weed.
    Not in my experience to be honest.

When we played with Pelican in 2012, the whole backstage area and the green room was a massive cloud of weed smoke, and soundmen and promoters will very often sneak off for a joint in between soundchecks.

I don't really smoke that much, but it's very common from what I have seen. I'd actually say it's responsible for a lot of the idiocy you see in live music and bands in general, but that's just my prejudice.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Yeah. But they also think magic mushrooms and LSD are as bad as heroin. Which is just bloody stupid.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Well done @professorben this is fantastic news, I am really pleased for you. It's clear from the discussions we've had here just what a big step this  was for you, you are deserving of our respect dude.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Well done @professorben this is fantastic news, I am really pleased for you. It's clear from the discussions we've had here just what a big step this  was for you, you are deserving of our respect dude.
    Agreed, you've clearly made a big step here.

The most telling thing is that you wanted to, and you forced yourself to.

Respect.
    Totally agree!

The new Professor of Green ....

@EricTheWeary the part where you say alcohol is more destructive because its more commonly used, that's not really true :)