Frustrating afternoon in Denmark Street

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4696
Ignoring the whys and hows, and the economics, I decided I'd go Denmark Street to try some acoustics.  Budget, top £600 but quite prepared to spend a lot less.

I tried the new Fender Paramounts and didn't like them.  I tried some very nice looking Guilds.  Didn't like them.  Yamahas. Nope.
In desperation I went to the shop with all the Martins (West side? Westone?) and tried a few of the lower priced ones and didn't really care for any of them.  I tried some nice looking Sigmas and a couple of low end Taylors without success.  Finally I went to look for a Gibson J15 but no-one had any so I tried a J45 which looked splendid, and a Hummingbird which was just fabulous to look at but, by God, I didn't much like the feel of the thing or the sounds.

I went into Wunjo where they had a secondhand Epi 1956 Goldtop' plugged it into a Blues Junior and, after about thirty seconds, concluded that, maybe, I'm not an acoustic kind of guy.  Saved a fortune probably.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I agree about the paramount.

Have you tried any taylors?

That being said I'm much more an electric player too and I really like the gibsons for some reason. the taylors play amazingly well, but the tone's a bit modern...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    I just didn't like the size of the things, the ungainly shape or how they sound.  God invented electricity for a good reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    rlw said:
    God invented electricity for a good reason.
    Muddy Waters invented electricity.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    God invented electricity for a good reason.
    Muddy Waters invented electricity.

I'm fine with that too.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Try a Sigma!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Recording King
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Em , No, Mr Electricity invented electricity, way way back in the day.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I've got a nice recording king rd127 in mint condition I'd let go.

Very nice thing, just doesn't get used at mine.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    Maybe if I sat and played purely an acoustic for a week I'd get used to it, but I'm the same when i've attempted to play one, just so bulky (obviously) and the accessible neck so short. 

Then again its a different instrument that I imagine requires different techniques/posture! 

Felt absolutely great picking my explorer up after though, almost as light and could reach absolutely everything with ease!!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    rlw said:
    Ignoring the whys and hows, and the economics, I decided I'd go Denmark Street to try some acoustics.  Budget, top £600 but quite prepared to spend a lot less.

I tried the new Fender Paramounts and didn't like them.  I tried some very nice looking Guilds.  Didn't like them.  Yamahas. Nope.
    In desperation I went to the shop with all the Martins (West side? Westone?) and tried a few of the lower priced ones and didn't really care for any of them.  I tried some nice looking Sigmas and a couple of low end Taylors without success.  Finally I went to look for a Gibson J15 but no-one had any so I tried a J45 which looked splendid, and a Hummingbird which was just fabulous to look at but, by God, I didn't much like the feel of the thing or the sounds.

I went into Wunjo where they had a secondhand Epi 1956 Goldtop' plugged it into a Blues Junior and, after about thirty seconds, concluded that, maybe, I'm not an acoustic kind of guy.  Saved a fortune probably.

Did you happen to see the guitar I bought today in Wunjo? ;)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm really comfortable with a smaller acoustic, OM size is perfect for me. 
    rlw said:

Not necessarily - what was it?
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Maybe they'd boxed it up and posted by the time you were in. 

Its a jazzmaster, and a very pretty one at that. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    For a mid priced very playable acoustic try Simon & Patrick. I have one that even die hard acoustic haters love.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited March 2017
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Did you happen to see the guitar I bought today in Wunjo?

If it's that red 65 (I think), I might have to steal it...

EDIT - Instagram says 66
    Stop crying, start buying
    Moss said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Did you happen to see the guitar I bought today in Wunjo?

If it's that red 65 (I think), I might have to steal it...

EDIT - Instagram says 66
    It is not, no. Not vintage....but it is NOS. 
    didn't see that knowingly....
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited March 2017
    Are any of the ones you tried nylon-strung? I can't play normal acoustics but have a thin-neck electro-acoustic nylon-strung Alverez (rc20sc) with a deep cutaway and I love it. Here it is:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/56159/ngd-alvarez-rc20sc
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    robgilmo said:
    Em , No, Mr Electricity invented electricity, way way back in the day.
    No, no, no! History tells us there was no electricity until Leo Fender came along. And then we rocked around the clock.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I never play my acoustics that much, until I bought a little parlor a few years ago. Tucked behind the sofa, I play it more than anything else. I generally play it a bit like an electric to be honest, great for working on my blues and jazz chops. Totally changed the way I think of acoustics. Its an all mahogany one too - something I never would have gone for until I played it. I can really dig in, and the natural compression kinda growls. Love it.