12 string hankering

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Yes, yes I know - "you play bass now, bugger off with ya!"

Well that may be true. But I still write songs, and play acoustic a lot. 

I think I would like a 12 string. Not sure why, but I just seem to like the idea. 

What would you recommend in the twice-the-usual-strings stakes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Have you thought of just buying a 12-string bass?

Seriously though, a 12-string guitar is a thing of beauty and wonder. Just do it. Guilds are supposed to be great. I've got a Martin DM, and after the action was fettled it plays and sounds like a dream.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've played a Guild 6 string and loved it. Are there any good non-dreadnought sized 12 strings out there?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Used 70s Guild would be the 'classic' option - not local to you but Frailers in Runcorn often seen to have this kind of thing in stock. They had a (smallish) jumbo style one a while ago that sounded fantastic - I'm not a Guild expert, so I can't remember the model number - but it was a lovely guitar.
  • A Vintage Brett 12 string is an excellent choice. Small bodied, easy to play & great sounding either as an acoustic or plugged in. 
    (The Giltrap signature one is excellent too). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the heads up. Good options to sniff out there.

I am also tempted by Yamahas offerings. Now if they did a 12 string version of their transacoustic...!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    You have money... buy a Lowden
    You have money... buy a Lowden
    Lol. I had money - The big bucks have gone into the 64p
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    A Vintage Brett 12 string is an excellent choice. Small bodied, easy to play & great sounding either as an acoustic or plugged in. 
    (The Giltrap signature one is excellent too). 
    I played the GG Vintage when I was looking for an acoustic 12. Liked it a lot. Also liked a Guild I tried. Ended up buying a Furch/Stonebridge. 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I have a Sigma DM12-4 that I bought in 1989 new, Korean, still found fabulous and plays like a dream. If you have the cash 
    Guild are the way to go. 
    I shall be keeping my eye on the classifieds!

I do like the look of the Guilds - are there any issues to look out for on the older ones?

Either that or I might go left field and look for an old Ovation
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    depends what ya want it for Brigie, most are for lecture players - strumming etc, I only fingerpick so the choice is VERY  limited - it's because of the string spacing @ the bridge - needs to be wide enough to get yer finger ends / nails in-between the string pairs - AISaid very few are suitable for this.
    Other than that - as others have said the Vintage Brett + Giltrap offer great value for what they are.
    Thanks @Aligorie - I have no doubt that this will be a strummer - song writing and messing about. I like fingerpicking 6 string - but having spent a lot of years on mandolin, it would be nice to get some of that tone. 
    I have a real affection for 70s Ovations.

I recently played a couple of old 12 strings at Frailers - one of which was the 'posh' Custom Legend.

They sounded (I regret to say) absolutely dreadful....
    I have a real affection for 70s Ovations.

I recently played a couple of old 12 strings at Frailers - one of which was the 'posh' Custom Legend.

They sounded (I regret to say) absolutely dreadful....
    That's my worry - and let's face it, acoustic pickup technology has moved on!
    Bridgehouse said:That's my worry - and let's face it, acoustic pickup technology has moved on!
    I'm not talking plugged in - the acoustic tone was awful....
    Bridgehouse said:That's my worry - and let's face it, acoustic pickup technology has moved on!
    I'm not talking plugged in - the acoustic tone was awful....
    Guild it is then...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    I'm currently looking after a 12-string dread for a mate who's gone off working in the Middle East.  It's a Simon & Patrick Cedar 12 (solid cedar top, and (AFAIK) cherry back and sides).

When he left it with me he said "It might want some new strings..."

He wasn't wrong - they were disgusting, black and rusty, so it sounded horrible, as you might imagine.

Now, back when Adam was a lad and I was learning about this stuff, the only way to get a 12-string playable was to put light strings on it, tune it to D instead of E, and put a capo on the 2nd fret.

So that's what I did - cleaned it up, ran a drop of walnut oil into the fingerboard, and put some 10's on.  And it still sounded horrible!  All crashy and too much jangle...

I ended up taking the capo off and tuning it up to E, (praying that the high G wouldn't snap!), and now it sounds ten times better.  It's much clearer and more articulate (although it's certainly no Guild).

The current range is the "Woodland" - I googled and found a new one for £599, but I bet you could get a 2nd hand one for a good deal less.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Nitefly said:

Now, back when Adam was a lad and I was learning about this stuff, the only way to get a 12-string playable was to put light strings on it, tune it to D instead of E, and put a capo on the 2nd fret.

So that's what I did - cleaned it up, ran a drop of walnut oil into the fingerboard, and put some 10's on.  And it still sounded horrible!  All crashy and too much jangle...

I ended up taking the capo off and tuning it up to E, (praying that the high G wouldn't snap!), and now it sounds ten times better.  It's much clearer and more articulate (although it's certainly no Guild).
    Yes - because in the old days 'light' meant 11s, which on a 12-string especially are a *lot* heavier than 10s despite only being "one more" :). Tension is proportional to the square of the string gauge for a given frequency, so it makes a lot of difference - and twice as much on a 12-string.

So generally you want to tune a 12-string to D with 11s, and E with 10s. D with 11s sounds immense, but too loose and trashy with 10s exactly as you found. E with 11s will be extremely hard to play - roughly equivalent tension to 15s on a 6-string guitar - and may damage the top or the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited April 2017
    I put a utube link here somewhere of me playing a 12’er - I have always tuned a 12’er a tone below using 13 - 56 you get a full sound and some compensation for the reduced tension - easier on the  l/h hand
    That said I play solo and don’t have to be concerned about matching pitch with others, if you play by yourself I’d recommend it.
  • JavabeanJavabean Frets: 9
    edited April 2017
    I have a nice Faith Saturn HiGloss 12 String up here on this board , if you still have a hankering.