Good reasonably priced univibe pedal

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
edited March 2017 in FX
Fancy adding a vibe to my board for thick and swirly stonery goodness, a normal chorus didn't really work out too well for me after all. I was pretty set on the MXR Univibe - it's a little more than I'd like to spend but sounds great on the demos and does the kinda thing I'm after.

Just checking there's nothing else I'd be better off with for the money? Voodoo Labs gets good reviews but dont like not having a level control, marshall regenerator apparently sounds good but drops level as well. TC doesn't seem too bad but I don't like their switches. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd take the DigiTech Ventura or the TC Viscous before the MXR.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited March 2017
    Any particular reason for that? I didn't know of the digitech so I'll check that out.
    I just wasn't particularly convinced by the MXR, much preferring the DigiTech. In fact the Ventura has seen the Drybell Vibe Machine off my bigger board.
    The Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is pretty good, if a little dark sounding.
    Wow isn't that drybell meant to be one of the best? I'll have a look then. I really liked the sound of the MXR in the PGS demo, seems like it sounds bigger and more "swooshy" than the Ventura?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Danelectro cool cat vibe
    -had 'em all ,Dry Bell,Voodoo,Viscous etc etc ...................the cheapest little Danelectro is quirky and best
    thought the Voodoo was awful...........intrusive swirl pulsing coming through the amp 
    Mint green Mini Vibe by Bearfoot is next best in my book
    I still have and love the Drybell, and given the right set of circumstances it sounds mega. I was finding a bit fussy sometimes regarding placement in chain and what was around it though.
    Another suggestion is keeping a lookout for a second hand Skreddy Swirl.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I love my MXR one, mines the one with the Hendrix artwork but inside it's the same as the black one.

I did also like the TC one when I tried it at the guitarshow last year. I might be wrong but it's a soft switch as you can hold it when the effect is running and it does a crazy ramp-up/warp thing, quite fun.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    MXR is great, have no hesitation.

The dark horse (v cheap) is the BBE- it is literally a rehoused VL MicroVibe and you'll get one v cheap. it is throbby though.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697

I liked the MicroVibe I had, but it sounded terrible with the intensity down, it was all or nothing.  But that could be all vibe pedals for all I know.

Didn't like the Dano I had and I also had an EQD the Depths, it was okay, but not a classic vibe sound.

edited March 2017
    Hmm ok maybe I should just try whatever comes up cheap 2nd hand. I'm by no means a purist when it comes to this sort of thing and it will only be used sparingly. Should also say I'll probably mostly use it into a dirty amp, not much use for true cleans in the kinda stuff I play! 

Out of the demos I've seen I just like what the MXR does to the sound on the Pearl Jam solo on the PGS demo! The ramp up feature of the others is pretty cool though.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4697

I always think phase 45's give a great vibe approximation, albeit a little more subtle.

The new MXR Phase 95 could be a cheaper option.

• BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    There's a skreddy LMS on eBay for a good price. They sound lovely.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3832
    @TTBZ I've got a Voodoo Labs Microvibe that I could let go of if you fancy it?
    Having read more about the TC I think I may "risk" their soft feeling switch and try that one. The tone print software lets you tweak pretty much everything so in theory it should be able to get me whatever sound I'm after.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Classic amplification Vibe baby. As good as my original shin-ei without the collector cost. Hence its sale here on the forum. Get the vibe baby direct from the states. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    +1 Cool Cat Vibe - it does the Gilmour 'Breathe' thing really well but for the Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs thing then my custom programmed VIBE patch on my BOSS ME-5 is the dogs.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I ended up finding a Viscous Vibe for cheap on ebay so I'm giving that a go and hoping the switch doesn't die  thanks for the suggestions though. 
    edited March 2017
    The Viscous arrived today - does everything I'd hoped it would and I've not even delved into tone prints yet. All in all glad I didn't spend any more money as I doubt I would have appreciated any difference! This goes wob and throb to a satisfactory degree.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I have a Drybell, A Fulltone and the Viscous Vibe. The VV is superb. I especially like the vintage vibe tone print.
    Yeah I've just been playing with that one, sounds really good - bit more subtle. At first I thought the toneprint thing was a bit of a gimmick but it's actually really useful and handier than booting up the pc to load in patches.