Plini

trolleytrolley Frets: 88
Went to see him at Satan's Hollow last night (what an 'interesting' venue).
David Maxim Micic was OK- can't say he did much for me.
Disperse - much more interesting. Especially their guitarist.
Plini was very good. I would have liked the guitar a bit higher in the mix - although my proximity to the bass & shot hearing might have had an effect.
The start of a Progtastic few weks - HRH Prog this weekend, followed by Haken, Frost & Dream Theater.
I mostly blame my son for this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

Saw him play with animals as leader a while back (when they toured with intervals and did a funny switcheroo of support slots). I was really impressed with how effortless his playing looked, despite the buckets of sweat due to a crazy hot venue!

had a chat with him on the merch stand afterwards, nice bloke.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Despite all the hype in Djentland, I never bothered listening to him much until he came up on a recent NGIS:

Fascinating story. Great player, but more importantly composer (and engineer), making do with the tools on hand to create original music. Inspirational. Living his dream, I think.

I shall have to listen further, and might try to catch him live next week.

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I really enjoyed the NGIS Plini episode.  He's clearly a phenomenal player and his album is great.  I was surprised by his comment that when he set up for the jam on the podcast it was literally the 3rd or so time he'd plugged into a real amp.  I guess some of the new crop of technical players are going full digital straight away without the traditional cheap guitar into an even cheaper amp right of passage!  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    trolley said:

There are a couple of tracks he's done that I really, really like, but a lot of overindulgent widdle too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    Sporky said:
    trolley said:

There are a couple of tracks he's done that I really, really like, but a lot of overindulgent widdle too.

I just thought his playing sounded 'weak' against the other 2 guitarists. Nothing wrong you understand - just didn't do it for me. Or I didn't get it. Perhaps I'll have a listen to some more fo his stuff. Seeing Haken on Friday

• SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Ah, I getcha.

I probably like the ones with the least guitaring!

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    Sporky said:
    Ah, I getcha.

I probably like the ones with the least guitaring!

In that case, what about this:

https://www.facebook.com/PRISMS-508663266009398/?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite&notif_id=1475602002698070