"Modeller-Jam : a meetup for users, the inquisitive, and the downright sceptical" ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27986
    Ayup.

Also I could bring the Source Audio Reflex for your any-parameter-modulation delight.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    I have Kemper.....where is the "do" ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    I'd be happy to come along if it's later in the year (summer?) to bring the alternative option with an almost-all-analogue pedalboard capable of putting out a cab-modelled signal, once I've got the Digitech CabDryVR.

Might make an interesting comparison :)
    <space for hire>

Might make an interesting comparison :)
    I think it definitely would.

I'd also like to hear the GSP or the 11 rack or whatever the doohickey is. If'n you still have it.

Also I'd like to have a play with all the options. I'll bring my headphones. I have long felt that the mid to upper range multiFX (and I include modellers in that) are all good enough sonically; what matters is finding one that has an interface you can work with. I would like to test that hypothesis, and I would really like to have a proper play with an AxeFX.

Oh, and I'll bring FIGLA in case anyone else thinks that an external looper controller for the Helix is a decent idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

I'd also like to hear the GSP or the 11 rack or whatever the doohickey is. If'n you still have it.

Sadly, I don't - I don't really have the available funds for keeping loads of different options hanging around. However, @professorben has my old Eleven Rack, so if we can both make it then all comparisons are go :)
    <space for hire>
    Ah, gotcha. I'll bring my Behringer GI-400 as well.

No-one else is allowed to try my headphones though. That'd be icky. EVERYONE BRING HEADPHONES.

Hmm. I could probably stuff the Eris E8s and my cello amp in the car...
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Well this seems like a good result, if this is happening, and it's near London or Surrey I could help with the organisation.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Sporky said:

Sadly, I don't - I don't really have the available funds for keeping loads of different options hanging around. However, @professorben has my old Eleven Rack, so if we can both make it then all comparisons are go :)
    Yep and the Micro Cube  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

I suppose no one is interested in how a bass sounds through Helix?

No? Didn't think so...
    I'd quite like to hear the Helix Bass against the Bass rigs in my 11R
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited March 2017

I suppose no one is interested in how a bass sounds through Helix?

No? Didn't think so...
    I'd quite like to hear the Helix Bass against the Bass rigs in my 11R
    And you'd be more than welcome to.. I actually really like the Helix bass models. I'm intrigued to see if the next Helix update (which is due soon) brings it on a step further - its all bass related stuff, including a darkglass B7K preamp.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I'll bring my Amplug if its not to heavy to go on a train .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    rossi said:
    I'll bring my Amplug if its not to heavy to go on a train .
    Don't let it fall out of your pocket on the way ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    Ok so we seem to have critical mass of interest. 
    What if it was a weekend: day 1 modelers day 2 all gear jam with overnight for those who want both?
    Red ones are better. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    TimmyO said:
    Ok so we seem to have critical mass of interest. 
    What if it was a weekend: day 1 modelers day 2 all gear jam with overnight for those who want both?
    Brilliant.  All round to yours then :-)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2017
    I'd find that really interesting. Subject to my work availability. I'm up for it. I use an M5 for my mod/delay fx. But my Distortion is a pretty obscure JFET job. I'd be interested to hear a HELIX up close.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited March 2017
    I'd love to come along if it's somewhere central and easy to get to! Be good to put some faces to names and see if I want to remortgage the house for a Helix...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I would genuinely love to hear a Helix / AX8 in anger. Problem is there are so many variables, when this has been tried with AxeFx etc in the past, hours just disappear fucking around with menus and not much being learnt.

I also worry about the evangelical nature of digital guitar advocates and that I will drive home with a different doctrine. 
    dindude said:
    I would genuinely love to hear a Helix / AX8 in anger. Problem is there are so many variables, when this has been tried with AxeFx etc in the past, hours just disappear fucking around with menus and not much being learnt.

I also worry about the evangelical nature of digital guitar advocates and that I will drive home with a different doctrine. 
    I think part of the problem is that people get hung up on making modellers sound exactly like a particular amp (and comparing their ability to copy a particular amp), when what they should be doing is making the modeller sound as good as it possibly can for a given sound in their head, and then comparing each modeller based on how close they get. There's way too much scope for getting lost in it, IMO.

That's why I've gone for a pedal-based setup instead. Less variables, just as many usable sounds and more time playing - for me, at least.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:

I think part of the problem is that people get hung up on making modellers sound exactly like a particular amp (and comparing their ability to copy a particular amp), when what they should be doing is making the modeller sound as good as it possibly can for a given sound in their head, and then comparing each modeller based on how close they get. There's way too much scope for getting lost in it, IMO.

That's why I've gone for a pedal-based setup instead. Less variables, just as many usable sounds and more time playing - for me, at least.
    I'm with you. I remeber hearing Adrian Belew back in the early 90's when he was touring with Bowie - he was using a set up based around the latest and greatest (of the time) Roland processors/guitar synth stuff and he got some amazing sounds out of it. Nothing like a tweed deluxe, just pushing tech to create new sounds. I loved that approach.

However, if you are mainly trying to replicate a valve amp, then buy one, they aren't extinct, in fact we're in a golden era when it comes to amps and pedals.

I also know that I personally work better with imposed limitations. A few years ago I was happily pusing Cubasis on iPad for recording stuff and being pretty prolific (for me). Then, as you do, you try to better yourself, so I bought a Mac, Protools, Thunderbolt interface etc. Guess how much recording I've done since? Ziltch.

I recently went back to Cubasis on iPad and I'm happy as Larry with it, I can still get my arms around when I haven't used it for 2 months, and I can sit on the sofa with headphones and mix which is more exceptable to the other half than disappearing into my man-cave and up my own arse for a weekend.

Still, I would genuinely love to spend time with a Helix / AX8 - but it would need to be one on one at home or in a rehearsal space.

A meet up would be the equivelent of your mate telling you about a great movie, then sitting next to you on the sofa as you watch it, making sure you laugh in the right places and don't miss the good bits.

Well, that was a long post.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom