How far/close do you live from a decent guitar shop?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    simonk said:
    15 minutes from the excellent Project Music and Manson's in Exeter.
    Secretly I want Bill Greenhalgh's on Fore Street back... the Grace Bros. of music shops.
    My first acoustic and my first electric came from Bill Greenhalgh's.  Those were the days.  What was the one up the other end called?  I bought a second hand lawsuit Ibanez in there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @crunchman said:
    simonk said:
    15 minutes from the excellent Project Music and Manson's in Exeter.
    Secretly I want Bill Greenhalgh's on Fore Street back... the Grace Bros. of music shops.
    My first acoustic and my first electric came from Bill Greenhalgh's.  Those were the days.  What was the one up the other end called?  I bought a second hand lawsuit Ibanez in there.
    Music Room do you mean? That's an equally bizarre shop.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Thomann. It's a just a click away!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Pete's Vintage in Thame is I suppose the nearest, about 40 mins away.  Coda 50min. Andertons 1Hr-ish.  There's a small one in Hemel

Used to have a great one a mile away, now sadly gone to the big business rate-rise and lease-hike in the sky
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Define decent.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    impmann said:
    Define decent.

I chose to define it as a place that had the ability to hoover my wallet, rather than the nearest Squier Affinity & strings stockist.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    An hour away for me for a good new guitar shop at Reidys....but used....lord knows, I live in the sticks....the nearest supermarket is 10 miles away.....but it sure is pretty up here! :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I used to have five within a thirty minute drive. Only Coda music left now. About 15 mins away.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Jalapeno said:
    impmann said:
    Define decent.

I chose to define it as a place that had the ability to hoover my wallet, rather than the nearest Squier Affinity & strings stockist.
    Hmmm - there have been a few suggestions above that I really wouldn't classify under 'decent' - either due to rubbish sales staff or just downright dodgy characters.

I guess for me it would an hour's drive to Coda.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    PMT and GG at Birmingham for me, about an hour on a good day.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I live by Regent's Park in central London, I've got a 5 minute walk to GuitarGuitar (Camden) in one direction and a 15 minute walk to Denmark Street in the opposite direction.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    About 40 minutes from Richtone, in Sheffield. I really ought to go...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited March 2017
    Well, I'm in North London and unless I'm missing something there's nothing much near me.  Sound Garden in Barnet and Electrohill in Palmers Green, but they don't sell higher end guitars.  There is the Wembley Music Centre, but in London its not so much about distance as getting from A to B through traffic.  its a little over 10 miles and on a good day if the North Circular is clear you can do it in half an hour - if not, it could be an hour or even longer.  

Coda Music Stevenage is over 26 miles from me - 40 mins if traffic is clear, double that if its not. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Voxman said:
    Well, I'm in North London and unless I'm missing something there's nothing much near me.  Sound Garden in Barnet and Electrohill in Palmers Green, but they don't sell higher end guitars.  There is the Wembley Music Centre, but in London its not so much about distance as getting from A to B through traffic.  On a good day if the North Circular is clear you can do it in half an hour - if not, it could be an hour or even longer.  

Get yourself an Oyster Card.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Well I have guitarguitar Epsom about 15 mins away, Andertons about 20 mins away, Guitar Village about 30 mins away. Also have a few smaller places in Clapham and on the Kings Road but very much traffic dependent - I hate the tube. 

Guitar techs are a five minute walk or a 15 min drive, rehearsal studios a five minute drive.

I'm pretty sorted. 
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    Central Scotland: so i am within a 20 min car journey between two GuitarGuitar shops in Glasgow & Edinburgh as well as several attendant shops in either city.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    A long way. Real long way.

Which is, in my book, a really good thing...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Oasis in Ringwood is a 10 minute drive away. They're starting to stock some nice high end amps and guitars, making them more of a "destination" shop than just a local one. Absolute Music in Poole is 20 minutes away and is a decent place with the best-trained staff I've ever met. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

How far/close do you live from a decent guitar shop?

impmann beat me to it. Can you define decent guitar shop?

One of the shops you have mentioned will not entertain trades AFAIK. I am not sure how that would even qualify them as a guitar shop, a music retailer, or anything else. Never mind a decent one.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Another North Londoner here.

Allowing for the vagaries of the Northern Line, Sound Garden in Barnet is about 20 minutes away, Denmark Street about 35 minutes. I wouldn't go to Electrohill again, I feel that they've gone downhill since they moved. Wild Guitars in Highgate is about 20 minutes away as well, but at those prices it may as well be on the moon.