Taylor tuning ....

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Not heard of this before ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    Christ, who edited the speech? It's almost unwatchable.

Not sure what I think of the principle. Like all of these things it seems to sound better on some chords and worse on others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Not much in it. If anything, standard sounds better to me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I've always tuned to the 'attack' of the note - on the basis that when the string is vibrating the most, it may well be slightly sharper (I originally came across this suggestion in the Erlewine Guide to Guitar Repairs book I think).

I've never had problems with sounding 'out'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    edited March 2017
    Yes, I can hear the difference. The one in 'Taylor' tuning sounds out, the one in standard tuning sounds right.

To me a guitar sounds most in tune when it's set up with the nut as low as possible, the neck as straight as possible (allowing a tiny bit of relief usually) and intonated and tuned perfectly to the equal-temperament intervals. If you think about the mathematics and physics of it, there's a good reason for this...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    What'd quite interesting is if I play Fire and Rain, the Taylor tuning works better - funny that
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The problem is that Guitars can never have perfect intonation with straight frets. Both of these tunings are a compromise but I think standard is a better one. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    The problem is that Guitars can never have perfect intonation with straight frets.
    They can never have perfect intonation in all keys with non-straight frets either. (That includes compensated nuts.)

Both of these tunings are a compromise but I think standard is a better one. 
    Exactly. The whole point of equal temperament is that the errors are evenly distributed - any attempt to make one key sound more in tune automatically makes others worse, by definition. Which for some guitarists isn't an issue, I know - if you don't play in those keys.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein