Friedman Runt/Victory V30/Rectoverb 25/insert here...

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
edited March 2017 in Amps
Short version of events: I want a 2-channel amp with series fx loop and would dearly like an Egnater Renegade 65 but they're not made anymore and are horribly unreliable (so won't touch one second-hand). I thought the Fender Super Sonic 22 would be a good alternative but, much as they sound great, they have a reputation for unreliability and the one I just got came with faults. Meh. Both of these are very close to what I want. I want clean that I can use as it is - and overdrive into a light break-up. I also want a heavier channel that I can push further, into fat saturated leads.

So...the Friedman Runt and Victory V30 have two channels. Apparently nice clean pedal platforms and have good overdrive channels. I don't think a single-channel amp gives me enough to work with for what I want.

I couldn't get away with the Mesa Mark V:25. Too difficult for me to dial in.

Head or combo, not fussed.

Opinions welcome.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The title of your post says Victory V30, but the body says V40.  Since you want two channels, I assume you mean the V30.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The title of your post says Victory V30, but the body says V40.  Since you want two channels, I assume you mean the V30.
    Good spot!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Following ! I'm looking for a similar spec amp , I like hot rodded jcm800's but I need something that is as reliable but has a lead channel .
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I have a runt 20 and it's awesome. I have had the victory v30 too and it's also awesome but it's not quite as easy to balance as the friedman due to the shared eq.

Is size an issue too? The victory wins on form factor you simply won't believe how loud it is for such a small enclosure, it's insane! If you get the 50w runt it's a sizeable head.

Both sound great anyway.
  • Thanks, @Evildurka Hovering over the 50w combo. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    V30 or runt combo? lol
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited March 2017
    Evildurka said:
    V30 or runt combo? lol
    Runt, @Evildurka ;

My band, Red For Dissent
    You won't be dissapointed ;)
  • Evildurka said:
    You won't be dissapointed ;)
    @Evildurka Nice clean and a drive I can push into fat, saturated cleans? Warmth is something I want. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    I'm totally in love with my Runt 20 the clean is amazing and the drive is very versatile due to the boost function. It's like a jcm 800 without the boost and then a bit like a jubilee with the boost engaged but better IMO. 

I instantly was reminded of my old 2555sl when I first fired up the runt in guitarguitar camden. I also did an a/b with a victory rd1, victory v30 and runt 20 at andertons and the runt was the one I liked the most running through a victory 1x12 like I have at home. The reason for this is certainly the presence control on the runt which the v30 doesn't have.
  • I can't understand why the boost isn't switchable. Odd decision. 

Did you a/b with the Runt 50?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Mesa express 5.50 head? Or Rectro-verb 25?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • @ChrisCox1994 Interested in the Rectoverb after reading up this morning​. Anything that does warm cleans and drives is a go-er. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • @ChrisCox1994 Interested in the Rectoverb after reading up this morning​. Anything that does warm cleans and drives is a go-er. 
    I had the express 550 and I'd say try one out if you can, the "+" version had the Lonestar's clean channel (amazing warm clean) and the 2nd channel options can sound excellent if you take the time to dial them in with your ears not your eyes.

For example a great tone could be had on the "burn" setting with the eq at zero on treble and bass and mids at 9 o'clock, sounds crazy, but it gave a great edge of breakup old marshall sound with the gain set low.

I only tried the Recto at a shop in combo form, it was great but sounded similar to the express and not worth the price jump on the 2nd hand market IMO.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    I did not try the 50w runt as I knew I didn't have the space for it at the time. I have had a mini rectifier and it wasn't a patch on the runt so I can't imagine the reverb version will be any better, even with the Fillmore 75 speaker in the combo.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited March 2017
    This sells the Runt well and sounds totally usable for me:

My band, Red For Dissent
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I played a runt 50 yesterday .
    It was great , I want one !
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Koch Twintone II or III. A bit under the radar but awesome amps that shame Mesa in the build quality and tone stakes. Well worth a look if you can find one.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I'm actually selling my Runt 50 combo, it's a fantastic sounding amp the gain channel really cleans up superbly when you ride the guitar volume and keeps the highs, the clean side was a revelation, really clean, with reverb added it was massive. But for me I'm more in to the Vox sound so I could not bond with the Runt which is a shame as it also knocked off all the distortion pedals from my board.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/96312/fs-ft-price-drop-friedman-runt-50-combo-1200#latest
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Following ! I'm looking for a similar spec amp , I like hot rodded jcm800's but I need something that is as reliable but has a lead channel .
    Brunetti pleximan. 2 channel . With hotrod and extra switches on the dirt, plus clean boost.

Hotrod and boost are foot switchable.