What would you do if your amp tech had your amp for 13 months?

What's Hot
ok folks, is it acceptable for it to take this long in spite of reminders and phone calls?

How does one persuade a tech to just get on with it and give me the frigging amp back?!
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1370
    I think it's probably a good idea to collect it and take it to a different tech.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • No!  I've been teching for years, and though some take a long time, that's ridiculous! Get it back and find another tech.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    bbill335 said:
    I think it's probably a good idea to collect it and take it to a different tech.
    Having collected your hire charges from him...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    bbill335 said:
    Having collected your hire charges from him...
    ^This.......and then tell everyone on here who it is, so no one in your area has to suffer the same.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I managed to pick up 2 wows the last time I said this for some inexplicable reason, but:

You paid him for this, right?
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Give him hell. Sounds like one of those people who needs a kick up the arse to get things done. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    "The arse"? Needs a kick in the fucking bollocks more like!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    "The arse"? Needs a kick in the fucking bollocks more like!
    LOL
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1620

Quite ridiculous. 13 months is long past the time when you should have become more "formal" and gone all legal on his arse.

Write a letter stating plainly that you want to pick up the amplifiers 7 days (say) from the date on the latter Otherwise you will start proceedings through the Small Claims Court to retrieve the amplifier and monies for loss of amenity and costs.

Tell him, IF the amp comes back inside a week you will pay a reasonably repair charge but ONLY when you have had the amp at home for a few days to check it out. A quick burst on his banjo in his front room is not good enough.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What on earth did you do to the amp, that it takes 13 months to fix? 

;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I managed to pick up 2 wows the last time I said this for some inexplicable reason, but:

It was meant to be paid work, but I haven't paid yet...and I'm not sure I should do until this is resolved!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    How did you let it get to 13 months?!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I managed to pick up 2 wows the last time I said this for some inexplicable reason, but:

It was meant to be paid work, but I haven't paid yet...and I'm not sure I should do until this is resolved!
    If you transfer any funds to him now or in the future, I'm coming round there to slap you and him myself! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    ecc83 said:

Quite ridiculous. 13 months is long past the time when you should have become more "formal" and gone all legal on his arse.

Write a letter stating plainly that you want to pick up the amplifiers 7 days (say) from the date on the latter Otherwise you will start proceedings through the Small Claims Court to retrieve the amplifier and monies for loss of amenity and costs.

Tell him, IF the amp comes back inside a week you will pay a reasonably repair charge but ONLY when you have had the amp at home for a few days to check it out. A quick burst on his banjo in his front room is not good enough.

This. In fact I'm not even sure about the last paragraph, I would just want the amp back unrepaired.

The problem will come if he's started it and it's in pieces. From experience with one or two other techs it may be difficult to put it back together if he's lost half the proper screws and things like that…

13 *weeks* would be way beyond reasonable usually, unless he can give you a legitimate reason such as a unique part that he's waiting for.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9575
    usedtobe said:

;) 
    Crikey Moses, I built an amp in two days!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    In my opinion the best outcome would be if he hasn't actually started work on it yet and it is sat in a corner somewhere gathering dust, that way the amp is as you left it and just just need to go round, pick it up and chalk it down to experience. the Worst scenario as per ICBM if he has started work on it and there are bits everywhere. You will have entered some form of contract with the company be it written or verbal, with an estimated timescale for completion, he had a duty to advise you of any delays and the reasons for them, so a claim in the Small Claims Court would be possible, but suspect you just want the amp back!  
  • usedtobe said:

;) 
    Ha! It was a bit of a fiddly fault, unexplained crackling which was hard to replicate on the bench...

rico said:
    How did you let it get to 13 months?!
    Yeah I know...I chased after about 6 months, and then again a few weeks ago, get promises then zero action.

This is with someone who I thought trustworthy and who has provided exemplary service in the past so I'm confused and surprised by this. Perhaps I have inadvertently caused offence in some way, who knows.

Sounds like formal action is going to have to be the next step which is a great shame.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Set the power of The Fretboard on the miscreant !!!!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    ICBM said:

13 *weeks* would be way beyond reasonable usually, unless he can give you a legitimate reason such as a unique part that he's waiting for.
    Actually, thinking about it… do any of you have a dead Peavey Bravo with a working power transformer I could buy?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jalapeno said:
    Set the power of The Fretboard on the miscreant !!!!!!!

LOL I'm reluctant to name and shame right now especially if I'm being forced down the legal route. I'm also giving the benefit of the doubt given the good service received previously.

I just can't understand WTF has been going on with this one. Hard times? Personal circumstances?

The workshop is located in another town otherwise I'd have just gone and tried to pick it up before now.

Maybe I should try and get this on Judge Rinder - at this point I'd get more entertainment out of that than the fucking amp. I'm beginning to wonder if I even want it back after this long :-(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom