PRS in PMT Birmingham today 18/3/17

What's Hot
CollingsCollings Frets: 411
For those that may not know prs is doing a meet and and greet at pmt in Burm today
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Would someone ask him why they didn't use nitro on the current run of wood library 594's, please? :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    WL runs are specced by dealers/distributors, not PRS themselves. If they didn't go nitro, it's because they weren't ordered that way.
  • Whitecat said:
    WL runs are specced by dealers/distributors, not PRS themselves. If they didn't go nitro, it's because they weren't ordered that way.
    I don't believe that's the case with the current run of WL models. PRS has, I understand, pretty much devoted a hefty slice of time on its core line to WL. These are hitting the UK without any dealer having specifically ordered them. I think this is a strategic move on the part of the factory.

I have seen some WL runs on-line in the US where clearly some dealers have opted for nitro.

At the price point of the WL models here in the UK - and given the vintage vibe of the 594 model which appears to be the focus for the WL models arriving in the UK - I'd have thought / hoped that they'd have applied nitro.

The reality is, I suspect, two-fold - I'm sure it is more cost effective to just keeping the main spraying booth for the core line pumping out V12. Also, it underlines the fact that nitro is now, really, reserved for Private Stock models.

I know that, but I'd like to have had the opportunity to point that question to PRS and see what his answer was ;)

When PRS had a couple of years of special runs when times were tough, apparently, for the factory - what I'd consider to be forerunners to the WL runs (such as the 59/09 Ltds, 53/10 Ltds, etc) - they used nitro (satin, and gloss) and for good reason. It's a shame that it's not the case now. I have an exception V12-based 594 but, to consider shelling out again (at a higher price-point) for a WL model, the absence of ntiro was a deal-breaker. I know some have had Braz boards but, on it's own, that wasn't enough to tempt me. Nitro would have just put the collar and tie on the 594.
    edited March 2017
    PRS Europe is ordering them. Yes, they are owned by PRS but should still be considered a distributor. Nitro is absolutely a wood library option - costs more, obviously, but it's 100% available. Your question is still for Gavin or Kieran, not Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Appreciate the insight.

I think it's an opportunity missed, nonetheless.
    I don't disagree! I think PRS Europe brings in what they think will sell the most obviously - with the crashed pound there's going to be some price sensitivity as well. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Having owned a nitro PRS I would go with the V12 all day....there was a good reason they switched to V12 on the DGT's.