Steve Miller - Come on into my Kitchen (tuning/instrument????)

What's Hot
mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
edited March 2017 in Making Music
We question..

Was just trying to familiarise myself with Come on into my kitchen, for someone who comes to band jam to sing, which Steve sings and by sounds of plays on a 12 string.  However he looks and sounds like he is playing at bottom of fretboard but different versions I have listened to sound like they are in C or B or similar keys (certainly higher than A).  

So I ask the question is he playing it on a diff key shorted scale instrument or is he using an unusual open tuning? Changed pitch on some strings? If I am just being silly and he is just playing normal tuning, give me a couple of pointers in what he is playing on intro to get us started

Thanks

Link

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited March 2017
    It's MillEr !

It's a Robert Johnson tune originally - open tunings FTW !  (G or E)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    Yep but Robert plays it on 12th fret on A tuning iirc (well tab I saw I think it was maybe E) but of course its Steve's version guy likes and knows so learning it (can get most of it in E normal tuning but will be wrong place for his voice).  Looking at where Steve is playing the normal 12bar rhythm and number of fingers placement etc just has me a bit confused as from sound of what he is playing and where it doesn't look open (Ie when he does his bar chords coming down way starting up fretboard it looks like e7 shape)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    With a 12 string might be conventional tuning dropped to Eb or even D, tuning that octave G can be tricky on some guitars.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Looking at that 1974 version I'd have guessed standard tuning just from his fingers really.Quick google doesn't seem to suggest Miller used anything but standard or tuned down standard; Jungle Love is in Open A but he didn't play the  guitar on that (oddly enough). At the beginning of this I think he says it's in the key of B?

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited March 2017
    Not a Scooby, seems to be in B but looking at his blues run down on turnarounds and stuff it looks so much more like he's doing a lot of e shapes and positions and sounds like a lot of use of open strings too
  • RickBullRickBull Frets: 1
    edited November 2021
    Hi,
    Old thread, I know, but just to say on the album version from the Joker this is basically in standard tuning on a 12 string, but all strings dropped a 3rd to make this B E A D F# B.

Kind of standard 1-4-5 thing, with usual blues licks. The 5th chord is basically a standard B7 shape with the little finger removed (B11, I guess?).

Hope that helps, and get some heavy guage strings on if you want to try! 

Cheers,
    Rick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom