1964 Epiphone Excellente

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Played this today in Guitar Sound in Chichester. Had a good chat with the owner who gave me chapter and verse, interesting story about the run of these - some 139 made - by Gibson in the early days of Epiphone ownership. He has only found one other on line in an auction elsewhere. 

Way out of my league, but anyone know anything about them or come across one?

Plays beautifully, and sounds great. The neck is incredible, that is all pearl inlays on the board and headstock.

https://reverb.com/item/4311441-epiphone-ft-120-excellente-1964-natural

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982

I think the solid Brazilian Excellente was higher-specced than any Gibson flat-top at the time, which puts paid to the misconception that Epiphone was always the red-headed stepchild in the Gibson factory pecking order. I like them… just so Grand Ole Opry.

This is one of those ads where your eyes scan down and the volume and tone knobs in the top really make you wince. 

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Yeah! They've been added, it's a high end instrument so I guess whoever had it wanted to play it live. 
    They found the original Epiphone catalogue from '64 and the list price was astronomical for the time. It was a stupidly high spec.
  • KKJale said:

This is one of those ads where your eyes scan down and the volume and tone knobs in the top really make you wince. 

OMG... drilling the top to add knobs... that's waaaaay beyond wince-worthy.

From one of the pics, it looks like the addition of one of the knobs may have also led to a split.

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    If u think it sounded good - think of what it would sound like without that mistake of an adjustable saddle.
    I took that type of assembly outa a '60's J45 and replaced it with a wide bone compensated saddle after assuring the owner it was a reversible mod, the owner nearly fell off the chair on first strum.It's a metal U shaped channel with adjusting screws and on the Gibo' the saddle was a HEAVY moulded ceramic thing - sure tone / volume killers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The pickguard was a big old slab of a thing. I didn't check the saddle @AliGorie but I'm sure you're right. It was very articulate, but not especially loud.  
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited March 2017
    AliGorie said:
    If u think it sounded good - think of what it would sound like without that mistake of an adjustable saddle.
    I took that type of assembly outa a '60's J45 and replaced it with a wide bone compensated saddle after assuring the owner it was a reversible mod, the owner nearly fell off the chair on first strum.It's a metal U shaped channel with adjusting screws and on the Gibo' the saddle was a HEAVY moulded ceramic thing - sure tone / volume killers. 
    not to mention the electric component controls , an essential way to destroy a potentially good acoustic guitar.