non rosewood classical guitar

well i just finished my first guitar totally without rosewood

i must say that i'm very pleased with the final result, i thought that the sound will be very bright maybe to mush but... NO bravo 
I have done the same kind of work that i use to do in my rosewood guitars, only the back and sides 0,4mm thicker but here some time i do roswood a bit thicker as well, it depend of the piece that i'm working with.
The sound board is a italian bear claw spruce and i use to do a Romanillos influenced fan brace in my "normal" guitars and i decided to do it as well in this one.

well not disappointed at all, yesterday a guitar player tested that guitar and he at first as the same thought that i have as well but, after play for a bit he told me ...I JUST LOVE THIS GUITAR...

My answer for non rosewood guitars is... LOVE IT
https://josemarquescustomguitars.jimdo.com/classical-guitars/for-sale/maple/ 

https://josemarquescustomguitars.jimdo.com/classical-guitars/for-sale/maple/

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Looked at the other pictures too. One word.  F...................k.  It's gorgeous.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thank you RLW  =)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Lovely stuff.  I love maple for classical guitars, prefer to Rosewood which to my ears can sometimes be a bit too dark, I myself like brighter classical guitars with less sustain (maybe because I am a flamenco lover!) 

If you've not I recommend using African Padauk for back and sides (I saw you used it for the bridge).  I have a flamenco which is Cedar/African Padauk (made by David Pena Vargas), which I like a lot.  
  • Hello earwighoney

I wish to test diferent woods as well, i'm open to test everithing that i believe that can be good, i even wish to do a complete UK woods guitar, the problem is the top, some people use the red cedar from here or douglas fir for steel string, but classical works completely diferent... maybe a italian spruce and the rest all UK woods.
    I'm realy interested in know more about bog oak as well.

here my problem is sell this guitars, rosewoods guitars, sell great but other woods not all musicians are open to use... we will see in the future
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Hello earwighoney

I wish to test diferent woods as well, i'm open to test everithing that i believe that can be good, i even wish to do a complete UK woods guitar, the problem is the top, some people use the red cedar from here or douglas fir for steel string, but classical works completely diferent... maybe a italian spruce and the rest all UK woods.
    I'm realy interested in know more about bog oak as well.

here my problem is sell this guitars, rosewoods guitars, sell great but other woods not all musicians are open to use... we will see in the future
    I played a flamenco guitar with all UK woods, the top, back, neck were all Port Orford Cedar and the bridge/fretboard were all Bog Oak.  The Port Orford Cedar came from a tree from the guitar maker's garden!  If I was looking to make an all UK guitar, I'd have been more inclined to using walnut for the back and sides.

I've seen Lebanon Cedar used for guitar soundboards, and I think it can be sourced from the UK as well. 

I know what you mean about rosewood for classical guitars; nylon string guitar players are a fairly conservative bunch.  
  • jmcustomguitarsjmcustomguitars Frets: 102
    edited March 2017
    yes , gladly we have solutions but like i said for classical the question is, sounds good?? but also the preferences that this musicians look, but i understand this, if you will buy a guitar , expensive, you wish to buy something that you have more certainy that sounds good.
    about sound for classical guitar i have no doubt that spruces and some cedars, as canadian, are the best choice.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A lot of Jazz players use Maple Nylons. And Flamenco guitars are generally not Rosewood. That is a lovely bit of work. 
  • jmcustomguitarsjmcustomguitars Frets: 102
    edited March 2017
    Thank you
    yes Evilmags, in flamenco cipres is the first choice 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Thank you
    yes Evilmags, in flamenco cipres is the first choice 
    If you are every in Madrid Conde Hermanos is worth a visit. They have some fairly famous classical on display. 
  • no mate i'm in UK