NPD - EHX Freeze (with a little mod)

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
Got a S/H EHX Freeze to try it out. I read a lot about the switch not being great and noisey. All true.

I knew I was going to add a soft switch to it, 5 minute job. But then I had a jack input and small sustain pedal kicking around so I replaced the switch with a jack input (didn't want to drill the case as I'd mess it up :) )

A lot quiter to use and lot more comfortable - might put the soft switch in as it's a bit overkill, but I'll see how it goes.

link to changing the switch
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Oof. I like the mod, but not really sure about having the socket on the top like that!! Recipe for disaster once it's on a board with other pedals imho!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited March 2017
    @Drew_TNBD o yes. If you gigged with that it would end in tears. But it's only for home use. Plus me drilling the case would end in tears and blood and a trip to eBay to buy a new one

An L jack going into the pedal would help. Not much higher than the knob. You could hide the freeze out of the way and just use the sustain pedal. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    It's quite spectacularly typical of EH that they can't even use a simple momentary push-switch that works properly and reliably.

That looks like a very sensible solution - I agree that a right-angle plug would be best, but quite a lot of sustain pedals come with those anyway, so you can push the electric piano back against the wall...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    Check out the upcoming PLUSpedal Sustain Pedal. You may have just accomplished what they do at 1/3 the price (sans boutique cred ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @samothy01 :) I have one of them on pre-order. It does a bit more that I wish the Freeze did. The main part being the FX loop (which I know the superego has) so I can send the held signal through FX's without the main guitar tone being effected.

That and I'm a mug for 'boutique cred' :)
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    markblack said:
    @samothy01 :) I have one of them on pre-order. It does a bit more that I wish the Freeze did. The main part being the FX loop (which I know the superego has) so I can send the held signal through FX's without the main guitar tone being effected.

That and I'm a mug for 'boutique cred' :)
    Hahaha no I totally get you! I have one on preorder too actually, they just looked too cool to pass up! Love the attack/decay options too.
    @samothy01 have to say I'm pretty impressed with the freeze for the £'s. The expression pedal is a nicer experience. Fingers crossed the Plus is good as the demos.

• molokaiomolokaio Frets: 10
    Ahah it Made me think of the plus indeed. Nice idea man! Have fun!!! Awesome pedal