The transition

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
Any tips from transitioning from chord work to fills or solo breaks. Sometimes I'm ok with it, sometimes it's a bit iffy; the problem is where the solo starts with a few notes 'run-in' which commence before the previous verse is properly finished. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Play partial chords. In a band setting you won't want to be playing full 6 string chords all the time anyway.

My preference is to play most partial chords on the middle 3 strings (D G B) between 5-12th frets - most licks and runs can be played in this area so the transition is easier
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    edited March 2017
    I would agree with the partial chord approach.
    Try to find find the chord shape closest to where your run in starts on the fretboard.
    And don't be afraid of leaving the rhythm part a couple of beats early if you have to. In reality, no one will notice the gap, but they might notice a fluffed start to the solo if you don't give yourself time.
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    edited March 2017
    ^ agreed, stop the rhythm part a bit early, use the last couple of beats to do a nice long plectrum scrape from top to bottom, then start the solo. Check out the intro to a solo I did at 1:57:

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.