Informal guitar teaching

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Chap who did some work on my roof noticed my guitars and we got chatting. He's always wanted to play and now I'm going to be giving him some lessons to get him started.

Only taught informally a few times and not for about 20 years now. 

Interested to hear any tips or advice!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dont give him lessons while hes still on the roof

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    At least tell him he doesn't need to go up on the roof to reach the high notes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Lols awarded!
  • unless you teach him violin so he could be a fiddler on the roof
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Don't overburden him with a ton of technical stuff, or technique issues. Just focus on the most important aspect and spend a little time on that, while letting him enjoy playing. Then once that's fixed, move on to a more subtle issue, then on again etc.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited March 2017
    I taught my girfriends son. Gives you a nice warm feeling inside setting someone away on a course of creativity (financial ruin funding a guitar habit) What I did was give him 3 chords at a time. A,D and E for example. Showed him nothing else till he could change between the 3. Also told him to not try and race ahead by looking on internet etc till he had the basics down.Showed him some simple arpeggios to keep it interesting.  Too much imfo just overloads you and that's when people give up. After he learned all the basic open chords ishowed him Barre chords. To a begginer these look horrendous until they realise they are still the basic shaped chords but your first finger takes the place of the nut. Once you show them that it all starts to make sense. 9 months on he's away playing and now on YouTube picking up bits and pieces. Keeps him in his bedroom:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Thanks @sawyer @paul_c2 . My plan was to start with two chords that a relatively easy for a beginner to change between, e.g. Em and A, and show him the basic clawhammer right hand technique - I find beginners struggle more with a plectrum than they do with thumb and fingers.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited March 2017
    I have done this a few times now and the most succesful has been getting them to pick a song they want to learn. They need to be realistic but having something to work to seems to keep the interest up. Also having little gimmicks that get them making cool noises straight away is fun. Pick scrapes, single string runs etc.

Lots of praise keeps the confidence up and if possible getting them to play what they have learnt to their significant others is also really helpful. I get them to film a bit of the lesson on their phone so they have something to work to.

Obviously they have to pick up the teqhniques to actually play the song but they are doing that for a reson so is less of a chore. Subtly drop in alternate picking, 4 fingers over 4 frets and the good old power chord, a couple of simple scales help early on as well.

Have fun and have a laugh, good luck mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I get all my new students to give me a list of ten songs they love/want to learn. That gives me a sense of what they like, and I can pick out the easiest songs to begin with. Songs keep students enthusiastic. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Make sure you get the money up-front.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    After the first lesson shake your head, stroke your chin a little and explain it's going to be a bigger job than you thought. Then charge him double the amount you originally agreed...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Teaching roofers - you need to pitch it right. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    When I taught, my lessons were rather I formal.

I thought of myself more as a "strumming coach" than a "guitar tutor".
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    Get him sat down and find something wrong with the intonation on his guitar and proceed to strip it right back and wrap all the bits up in some cling film and then tell him to come back next week
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    You could do what my previous guitar teacher did and go off on a lengthy monologue about some really old musician who he once played with, which I won't have heard of, and has been dead 40 years. That quite effectively filled the hour and I got to play about 5 notes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom