From Kemper back to valves...and back (in a weekend)

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
edited March 2017 in Amps

Amended from the original post.  Kemper PowerHead bought with remote. Almost immediately decided it was a bad decision. Disliked enormously.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Don't own one, never played one, only heard one in the flesh in a rehearsal and in a shop, former through a powred wedge and PA, latter was a power rack through a 2x12.

both times it sounded awesome, at no point did I think it wasn't a real amp etc, I'm sure others can add more info, but my understanding is, if you get a few good patches (M Britt etc) you are sorted, I don't think you can download new fx without officially released updates but there was enough there to convince me I'd never need hardware pedals if I had one.

if I could afford it, I'd have one in a heartbeat!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    The built in effects keep getting better and better with each patch, they're really strong now, not a weakness that was pointed out by many in the early days.

Either cab of FRFR, it's personal preference really, very marmite - in purist terms you should use FRFR to get the most accurate representation of the profiled amp and cab from the Kemper, but some just like going through a normal cab because they have a cab they love and they're used to its colouring, plus it moves air, making it feel more like an amp in the room.

In terms of hooking it up, there's all options covered really, multiple outs, so you can send directly to your DAW, but you can also send directly to the speakers if you wish. It'll pair with the Apogee no problems at all.

I don't see it ever being OTT... It's actually very much less OTT than real amps in terms of portability, and it's easy to control your volume.

Don't apologise for posting often, it's a good thing.

Get one, they're great - I've not visited the Amps or FX for sale sections on this forum for a long time, it's just nice having it all covered and done, so I can waste my money on the guitars themselves, because they look pretty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I love mine (unpowered toaster), I use it in the house through a Yamaha hifi amp and into a pair of B&W shelf speakers. Through that and headphones it sounds great. 

Ive used it live a couple of times through a Peavey 6505 212 loaded with a pair of WGS retro 30's with the cab emulation off. That amp has resonance and presence which affect the poweramp so you can alter them rather than having to alter your presets on the Kemper. 

Sounds great imo, mixed well with the band.  I'll drop you a line when I'm back home and I'll bring it over so you can run it through your amp and cab if you like.  See if it's something you'll like.
  • Thanks, all. 

@andy1839 Thanks for the offer. I suspect I'll have gone for something before you get chance. GAS and all that :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jimificationjimification Frets: 160
    edited March 2017
    Could I ditch my T-Rex Soulmate and use built-in/downloaded effects?  This would help funding, to a small degree.
    - As above, the effects are great now (especially delays, which are spectacular) The one thing you might miss is the reverb. The current reverbs are just "ok" IMO, and there still isn't a decent spring reverb.

Can I use a normal guitar cab or do I need an FRFR speaker?
    - Either, just depends on your preference. Cab if you want the "amp in the room sound / feel", FRFR is you want maximum flexibility. Obviously if you use a guitar cab you'll need some kind of power amp for it or go into an FX return etc.

How can I use it at home with an iMac, Apogee Duet and Alesis studio speakers?  Will it need to run through my DAW?
    - I've not used it like this yet but would imagine you'd need some kind of hardware audio interface to run it through. If you just want to play along with music etc. then the manual says you can plug in an mp3 player into the kemper, so I would guess you could just plug the audio out from your imac into the KPA and use it that way. (hooking the KPA up to your monitors)

What about small gigs, where it might be OTT to go into the desk?
    - As above really, you either have a small powered PA speaker/s like Yamaha stagepass etc. or run it into the FX return of a combo etc. or you can get a powered KPA and run it into a guitar cab.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Bear in mind that if you do use a guitar cab, you'll be best off using DI profiles without a cab baked into the profile. If you take a studio profile and disable the cab, it isn't as accurate as you'd like.

Also if you fall down the rabbit hole of comparing your profiles to your real amps, you'll start noticing differences and then they'll go away and then they'll come back, etc.. etc..

I never had the confidence that I had made the "best choice" when it was between the Kemper with profiles of my own amps, or just using my own amps anyway... probably says more about me than the Kemper though!!

The last one I had was a powered one, and I was not sold on the solid-state poweramp. If it were me, I'd get an unpowered one and also something like a Fryette Powerstation to use with it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    @Drew_TNBD - good to see you back mate...

What advantages did you think the Fryette had over the built-in Kemper amp ?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Well I've not tried the Fryette itself, but I think a tube power section sounds better than the built in class-D amplifier. It could all be in my head, but the extra chunk factor seems to be missing with the built in power amp - as I recall it anyway.

I remember once I profiled the Diezel D-Moll that I had at the time, and played it back through the power section of the D-Moll through my 4x12 cab, and I could not hear any differences. Basically extended the D-Moll channel count from 2.5 to a full 4 channel setup!!

I miss that amp I have to say!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    edited March 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

Well I've not tried the Fryette itself, but I think a tube power section sounds better than the built in class-D amplifier. It could all be in my head, but the extra chunk factor seems to be missing with the built in power amp - as I recall it anyway.
    Ah, my mistake - I thought that you'd compared the two mate...

I'm a very recent convert to Kemper, and I ordered the Power Amp option. This makes more sense to me than using a separate power source, as the KPA is then very light and portable, and self contained.

@imalrightjack - I thoroughly expected to be disappointed with the Kemper, but the reverse has been true. I use mine with a 'real' cab (a Zilla V30 1x12 FatBaby) and Ive been delighted with the results.

The real joy is being able to access a Divided By 13 amp one minute, and a Carol Ann the next; both of which incidentally, sound SO good that it gives me GAS to buy the real things !!!

The Kemper itself is super light, and pretty easy to dial in. It also sounds superb through headphones, and that in itself opened up a whole new world which I never expected to like. On top of it all, the wife liked the reduced noise and small size of the Kemper ! Back of the net...

But the huge shock came when I a/b the profiles (not ones I had made) of my Redplate and Carr Rambler amps. Honestly, you would not have told them apart. 

Maybe the real amp is a touch warmer, but man you'd be hard pressed to notice it.

Like all the digital modelling stuff I guess, it takes some time to dial in and get used to what the various dials and functions contribute.

But like it or not, we are staring at the future here... and more and more people are being (albeit reluctantly  like myself) to the freedom that digital and modelling brings...

Right, Im off to have a play of the 10,800 amps in my room...

Feel free to ask any more questions
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really think I need to head down this road.  Unfortunately, only Guitar Guitar seem to have the Power Head and Remote in stock at £2,149.  Bax Shop have it a little cheaper, if I can wait:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/amp-head/kemper-amp-profiler-powerhead-remote

No idea how reliable they are, mind.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    How can I use it at home with an iMac, Apogee Duet and Alesis studio speakers?  Will it need to run through my DAW?

You've got various output options from the Kemper, for recording, especially if you wanted to do any re-amping S/PDIF is what I'd suggest. 

However, you've got XLR and balanced line outs, so you can use the Apogee. 

The Kemper is still the best guitar purchase I've made so far :)
  • Definitely going with it. Just need to find stock...

My band, Red For Dissent
    Have you tried the Kemper store directly @imalrightjack

I preordered my remote with them, quick delivery :)
  • Won't I get whacked with import duties, @PVO_Dave  ?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited March 2017
    Not from Germany, we are still in the EU (just D
  • It's actually way more expensive. They don't sell a bundle :(

My band, Red For Dissent
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Dead link but not actually in stock. 

Bax Shop price is £1,707, powered with remote. Not sure I want to risk ordering and it changes price or whatever. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    PVO_Dave said:

Bax Shop price is £1,707, powered with remote. Not sure I want to risk ordering and it changes price or whatever. 
    Weird, when I navigate to the powerhead and remote, it says available for next day?
  • PVO_Dave said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Weird, when I navigate to the powerhead and remote, it says available for next day?
    Try adding to basket. Wonder why Kemper don't sell a bundle?

My band, Red For Dissent