From Kemper back to valves...and back (in a weekend)

What's Hot

Comments

• I've reconnected it.  I feel I owe it that much, to at least try for a few hours.  I was perhaps jaded by my dodgy pickup wiring issue (now resolved).  I am actually getting a bit more out of it than last night but it's still the feeling of overwhelming choice that's mind-blowing.

If anybody has any of the more vintage M Britt packs I can try then please PM me.  I'm happy to pay if I keep the gadget but reluctant otherwise.  Remember, kids, Piracy Is A Crime.

@Fiftyshadesofjay - I really want to get some nice clean sounds that move into lightly broken up and push into harder saturated leads.  It feels like it has an abundance of good lead/heavy sounds but struggling with the cleaner side of things.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Try the Carol Ann or divided by 13 for break up tones 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I was thinking for chuck about/use at home purposes and get a good one for live. 

How would the DXR-10 work as a backline cab? I.e. used as a 'stack' behind me? Any suggested alternatives/other models? Thanks, @John_A ;
    If you're using something like a DXR-10, and you're able to put yourself through the PA for the gig, I'd be inclined to use it like a wedge monitor in front of you. Putting an amp behind you, floor level and shooting at your calves, is about the most inefficient way to hear yourself you could possibly concoct. The off-axis response of most guitar-specific gear is way off, particularly in the high frequencies, which are very directional, and even with PA cabs like the DXR, it's still not going to hit your ears in the same way as if it's actually pointing at you. When you hear super ice-picky guitar tones, it's usually a player who can't hear his treble overcompensating with EQ because it's hitting him below the knee instead of in the ears! 

Hearing it from a correctly positioned wedge monitor means you'll actually hear what it sounds like to the people watching you, which is the sound that really matters!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike257 My Kemper journey is, at least for now, over.

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    @imalrightjack  watch this vid on the free Mbritt pack and cancel the return :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    That's the first kemper video I've seen that actually sounds really good!  :#
  • -Ed--Ed- Frets: 28
    I converted from valve amps to KPA in March last year. My valve amps have since gathered dust. I don't play out, only at home. 
    Initially I started off using my JVM as a power amp and it sounded good. After a couple of months I bought a pair of HS8s and haven't looked back. Really happy with the sounds I get from it. 

The KPA is only as good as the profiles you use. There are plenty of free ones but I've found sinmix and TAF to be great. Mbritt profiles I don't get the hype, I've spent loads on them and can't get them good to my ear

what sort of sound are you after? I may be able to recommend a profile if there's not already a thread for that here

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    PVO_Dave said:

That sounds great!
  • John_A said:
    PVO_Dave said:

That sounds great!
    They sounded sod all like that to me...

My band, Red For Dissent
    John_A said:
    PVO_Dave said:

That sounds great!
    They sounded sod all like that to me...

Which only goes to prove it's user error and you should stick with it :)
  • Too much hassle...@John_A - I just want to play!

My band, Red For Dissent
    Too much hassle...@John_A - I just want to play!

Had similar feelings when I got my Helix.  Now I have a 'rig' that took a day to set up, and was tweaked a little bit here and there and I just plug in and play.  All you need to get out of it are the sounds you use, no need to spend forever fiddling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_Dave said:

Wow, that sounds fantastic, really impressed with the Slant profile on the neck pickup, sounds gorgeous and warm.
    That for me is the beauty of the Kemper, you just load a profile and play. I think at best I've either added or removed FX I didn't want on a profile, that's it!

Not sure why you are not getting the tones available to you.
    PVO_Dave said:
    That for me is the beauty of the Kemper, you just load a profile and play. I think at best I've either added or removed FX I didn't want on a profile, that's it!

Not sure why you are not getting the tones available to you.

Yes, I imagine a Kemper involves a whole lot less tweaking than a Helix, which isn't that much anyway
  • @PVO_Dave After that demo, I am officially strongly tempted by the unpowered head powered speaker (DXR10?)combination.

Can I connect a MIDI pedal like a Big Sky or H9 to the Kemper, have it in the FX loop and have effects from them as part of patches scrolled through using the foot controller?

@PVO_Dave After that demo, I am officially strongly tempted by the unpowered head powered speaker (DXR10?)combination.

Can I connect a MIDI pedal like a Big Sky or H9 to the Kemper, have it in the FX loop and have effects from them as part of patches scrolled through using the foot controller?

Absolutely no idea :/ - I'll be honest in that I rarely use FX these days, I know you can use pedals in front of the Kemper as per any other amp, but as for doing anything like the above I've no idea. Probably a question best for the Kemper forum, sorry!
  • it's almost as if we're all different people and we have different tastes and preferences... @imalrightjack the most important thing is to find the solution that fits you best.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    it's almost as if we're all different people and we have different tastes and preferences... @imalrightjack the most important thing is to find the solution that fits you best.
    When was that ever up for debate?

The point is/was, @imalrightjack didn't / couldn't get the tones that are available for others without them having to do anything / tweak anything, so if he was sending back based on that, then it might not be the right thing to do? Especially as a few posts above he mentions wanting clean/breakup tones which the above video shows is available in the new free pack.

Don't really care either way what amps/modellers anyone uses, like you say we are all different.
  • PVO_Dave said:
    it's almost as if we're all different people and we have different tastes and preferences... @imalrightjack the most important thing is to find the solution that fits you best.
    When was that ever up for debate?

The point is/was, @imalrightjack didn't / couldn't get the tones that are available for others without them having to do anything / tweak anything, so if he was sending back based on that, then it might not be the right thing to do? Especially as a few posts above he mentions wanting clean/breakup tones which the above video shows is available in the new free pack.

Don't really care either way what amps/modellers anyone uses, like you say we are all different.
    i thought he'd exhausted the free pack - I was under the impression he'd tried it and couldn't get it to sound 'sod all' like the video.