Let's remember ... Chuck Berry ...

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
He was one of my earliest guitar discoveries (even before Marty McFly's Back to the Future stage antics), and always loved 'Havana Moon' and 'Memphis, Tennessee'.

Somehow found his rock n roll music a genuine pick me up. Like the late BB King, Chuck Berry was one of the originals .....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Edinburgh Playhouse live, when I was 16 and he could still Duckwalk. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I always loved his lyrics. So much humour in them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited March 2017
    I love his music too and I've read his biography and loads of stuff on him.

Shame he was such an arrogant miserly mean spirited egotistical morally irreprehensible asshole and downright nasty excuse for a human being with a chip on his shoulder the size of the moon.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:

Shame he was such an arrogant miserly egotistical morally irreprehensible asshole and downright nasty excuse for a human being with a chip on his shoulder the size of the moon.  
    Something I can't help thinking constantly today as the world of social media is full of people joining the RIP race...
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Voxman said:

Shame he was such an arrogant miserly egotistical morally irreprehensible asshole and downright nasty excuse for a human being with a chip on his shoulder the size of the moon.  
    Something I can't help thinking constantly today as the world of social media is full of people joining the RIP race...
    Lol this ^^^

Remember Chuck for the reason we all know his name, for great songs and Rock n' Roll......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Of course RIP, and his contribution to the world musically was immeasurable. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2017
    Oh how we danced and laughed to My Ding-a-ling when we were 15....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    Oh how we danced and laughed to My Ding-a-ling when we were 15....
    His only UK Number One, recorded live at Coventry Locarno Ballroom no less....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    I think to a large degree  his legacy is that the whole of the British invasion from The Stones, The Beatles and Clapton etc all were seriously influenced by him - he was never the greatest guitar player - he borrowed many licks from T-Bone Walker, but he made them into his own and wrote his songs around such licks - Pre Chuck Berry we had the blues and swing/jazz, but in many ways, rock n roll, as far as far guitar playing goes, started with Chuck - Elvis sang, Buddy wrote great songs, but Chuck created a template that guitar players picked up and ran off with - who has not played or tried to play the opening riff to Johnny B Goode - There are many fine ways to play Route 66, but in a guitar based band, IMO the best way to play it is the driving rock n roll style that the Stones borrowed from Chuck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    We'll tbh johnny Johnson was king of rock and roll and prety much all the music and riffs were from him but he wasn't a front man so if it wasn't for chuck none of us woulda heard it...  Music would be very different today...

Stones, AC/DC and all the British blues revival I reckon started hearing chuck.  As did I if I hadn't heard him as a teen I would never have discovered blues and rock & roll.

Great innings and I'll be adding a few more Chuck songs at his weeks band jam to the three I already do :)

Sleep Well and hope you have an epic Jam wherever you are ;)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    edited March 2017
    Status Quo would've been fucked if it hadn't been for Chuck Berry.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Posted today on Facebook by an event organiser friend:

So I tried to book Chuck Berry for <event> at the Southbank one year and somehow got his home number. I called and spoke to his wife Cherry Berry (true). I said I was concerned about the fee and T&Cs which included 75,000 USD up front and exporting his car to the UK as he will only drive himself in his own car. She suggested we could save money by not paying the band as musicians would do anything to play with Chuck and would play for free

Lovely attitude :-/ 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    TimmyO said:

So I tried to book Chuck Berry for <event> at the Southbank one year and somehow got his home number. I called and spoke to his wife Cherry Berry (true). I said I was concerned about the fee and T&Cs which included 75,000 USD up front and exporting his car to the UK as he will only drive himself in his own car. She suggested we could save money by not paying the band as musicians would do anything to play with Chuck and would play for free

Fuck that event organiser ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    TimmyO said:

HAHAHA! that actually makes me like him even more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom