Where's the music of the recession?

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4631
edited August 2013 in Off Topic
So now we are in year 5/6 of the recession where is the new punk/new new wave/ rave scene ?
Or has the Internet/media turned the angry youth into zombies.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Zombies, deffo zombies. 
    It's all Dubstep, electro Dance/rave, Niki Minaj/Farmyard noises and singer/songwriters to be honest :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    As Nile Rogers said when people are down they want to hear about good times. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    King Blues ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    The OP makes a very interesting point. Why has there not been a mega-hit equivalent of 'Ghost Town' by The Specials? As soon as I hear that song I'm immediately transported to '81, mass unemployment, riots, racial tensions, strikes et al. A record that truly captured an era. Perhaps music was seen as a method of mass communication then, whereas the Internet fulfills that role now? Or maybe people are only mildly angry, living predominantly middle-class/comfortable lives and the truly impoverished are fewer in number. These people now seem to have been branded more effectively by the press as scroungers and cheats than they ever were in the early '80s and possibly feel so marginalised that they dare not speak out....
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    I thought we came out of recession years ago ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Eldorado on Iron Maiden's Final Frontier is about the recession/banking crisis.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    There's no longer an outlet for a punk-style movement. I worked in London in the mid 70s and there were dozens of small independent record shops [all gone] and clubs and pubs where you could hear bands live. Independent record labels like Stiff Records popped up out of nowhere which encouraged labels like EMI to take a risk with the Sex Pistols. EMI had the clout to market their product and force the likes of Radio One to play it. People were really interested in music back then - as a teenager there was bugger all to do.That's all gone.

Pop music's controlled by people who just want to make a fast buck and too many teenagers are more interested in FaceBook, Twitter, X-Box and following the exploits of Z-list celebs. Music is delivered in a convient way via an iPod or smartphone and is little more than the soundtrack to the daily lives of people commuting to work or working out down the gym. I don't know of anyone under 40 who consciously listens to an entire album any more.

Popular music's become bland and corporate [sponsorship opportunities] - think Coldplay. There's still some good music out there is you look but it will never be mainstream.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    @Fretwired summed it up perfectly, what a sorry state it is!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Apathy.
    My V key is broken
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    fluoride in the water. That and X Factor, the worlds best mind control combination.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I was watching Punk Britannia last night on bbc4 too!

Compared to the youth of today, we really have much less to do, and because of that music I guess played a bigger part and gave you a sense of "belonging" in a tribal sort of way. That's what it was - lots of little tribes. now all that "sense of being part of a community" thing is done on-line, and music is much less important. To compound the problem no one pays for their music now, which means no one makes any money from it. 
    We are collectively Fooked :x