NGD: Over a year of gruelling GAS is finally over (Yamaha content)

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
edited March 2017 in Guitar

So I've played budget Pacifica's in the past and have always thought they were good guitars, but never really thought about actually buying one. I remember seeing a USA model a few years back and that made me aware that they did higher end models.  Anyway, about a year or so ago, I was browsing eBay and the like and I spotted one of these - a 904 model - and instantly fell in love. Unfortunately, I dithered and lost out. Ever since then I've been looking out for one and finally, FINALLY, one turns up. Although it was outside my budget, the need was too strong, and so it was bought. So what's it like?

It's absolutely stunning in every way and the build quality is second to none. 

It has:

An alder body with a lovely ash cap (not veneer)

The abalone inlay on the headstock is a nice touch.

A truly wonderful Warmoth neck - which has a compound radius of 12 to 15" - is a joy to play

Fitted with Sperzels

Has an excellent tremolo and is very useable

Great set of pickups, push/pull on the bridge

Overall it sounds great clean and leans towards vintage strat teritory. Overdrive sounds very good but I think it's a case of finding the right pedal/amp, which is my next task. The only problem is, because it sounds quite straty, it's made me want a strat!...

Anyway, I'm very happy with it. Definitely a good purchase.

0reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have a wow. 
    I had a 510v for a while- brilliant guitar, I just couldn't manage the skinny neck on it. EVERYTHING else about it was great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    What a lovely guitar! High end Yamaha's are always great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited March 2017
    Don't buy a Strat if the Yam is doing it for you. The high end Pacificas are great and you'll not find a Strat with those specs for quite a lot of cash. And it probably won't sound any better.

I love Strats, by the way...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like that, a lot.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Love it!

I find those higher end Pacificas really interesting, I'd love to play one.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Dats purdy
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Yamaha make some beautiful playing guitars and that is a great example of one. Nice catch fella!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Thanks guys. It really is a corker. I'd sort of consider it as poor mans Suhr/Tom Anderson/etc, but even that feels like an injustice as its such a high quality instrument. Just need to find a nice amp to go with it now.

@Chuffola that's probably very wise. Thanks for that.

@Bucket if you're anywhere near Yorkshire, either living or visiting, you're welcome to come and have a go.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Nice grain there, good looking guitar man :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SpiritOfTheAgeSpiritOfTheAge Frets: 133
    edited March 2017

That is a beautiful guitar, I have also one which I hunted for for the best part of 2 years. Mine is old violin burst, ill try and get some pictures in the thread at some point.

Another nice feature which shows the attention to detail on these models is the angled headstock which negates the need for sting trees.

To split the bridge pickup a push push isn't it, not a push pull which is neat. 

The neck/fret board on these feels huge compared to other Pacifica's (and other brand guitars) I've had but it's not an issue it just gives you plenty of room to work with.

I paid £550 for mine which I think was spot on (in fact I think it was a steal!). also came with the original Yamaha gig bag.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z186/spiritoftheage/DSC_2692_zps61070397.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z186/spiritoftheage/DSC_2699_zps7e28aff6.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z186/spiritoftheage/DSC_2695_zps081902db.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very nice @SpiritOfTheAge. Welcome to the 'board too. I was hoping to find a violin burst but I'm really happy with the natural finish, possibly happier. As for the push-push pot, that's what I was expecting, however it's definitely a push-pull. Maybe earlier models were shipped with the latter? And I agree about the neck; it's just so playable! As for price, I paid little over the odds I think but it doesn't matter, it's worth it. £550 though is indeed a steal.
  • beed84 said:
    Very nice @SpiritOfTheAge. Welcome to the 'board too. I was hoping to find a violin burst but I'm really happy with the natural finish, possibly happier. As for the push-push pot, that's what I was expecting, however it's definitely a push-pull. Maybe earlier models were shipped with the latter? And I agree about the neck; it's just so playable! As for price, I paid little over the odds I think but it doesn't matter, it's worth it. £550 though is indeed a steal.

Thanks for the welcome. I had a 912J with the same finish as your 904, always reminded me of a tiger but I fell out of love with it because of the floating Floyd rose style floating bridge so it had to go. The 904 however is a keeper.

Incidentally I had mine re-fretted to original specs by a very nice chap who it turns out was a guitar tech for Yamaha when these were being imported, he told me that there are only a few in the country (relatively speaking) so mine (and no doubt yours) had already been through his hands as he would inspect and set these up before going out for sale.

That's interesting to know, thanks for that. And yes, a keeper indeed. Just been playing mine now and the neck is unbelievably good. I'm incredibly happy with it. Certainly worth the wait (and the money!).