NGD (was "What Parlour acoustic should I buy?")

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
edited April 2017 in Guitar
(Yes, I know this should be in Acoustics but, really, does anyone go there?  I've moved it here to garner some comments!)

50th birthday is imminent (let's never mention it again...) and I'm being treated to a watch, a weekend away and a parlour acoustic, which were my requests. I'm going for a parlour because it's not something I'd buy myself normally and I want something that I'll have for the remaining 5-10 years of my life.

I think I'll have about £400 left for a parlour and I'm thinking Faith Naked Mercury, but I'm keen for other thoughts.

Who has what and what is it like?  Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    I'm also considering a small acoustic so am watching the thread with interest. 

R. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I was going to suggest the Faith but you've already got that covered!
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited March 2017
    You think right. Faith Naked Mercury. I've got one. I've been playing it for the last hour or two (who's counting). It's a great wee guitar- comfortable and brilliant sounding. What more could you ask for?

My only criticism of it is that the finish is SO thin that it marks up easily & acquires pick marks/bumps etc very quickly and easily.... But they're MY marks so that's ok. 

If you MUST try other guitars...
    Martin LX1 has a great neck, but the body is dinky.
    Sigma 000/00 size are excellent Martinesque guitars on a budget (what I would have bought if I hadn't fallen in love with the Faith)
    Vintage Brett lovely parlour electo acoustic, lacks the "wow" factor though. 
    Gretsch Jim Dandy- seriously. Very cheap but incredibly playable- I kept going back to it in the shop where I tried most of this stuff. Lacks the quality feel of the others though (it is half the price though). 

Have fun looking, but buy the Faith. It's special. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Well under budget, and they're probably not that good, but the Gretsch Jim Dandy's do look cool.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    edited March 2017
    You think right. Faith Naked Mercury. I've got one.... *snip*

Have fun looking, but buy the Faith. It's special. 

Thanks for the comprehensive response!  Yes, I think from what I've seen the Faith will be hard to beat and I don't really mind about the dings as long as they're mine.

If it wasn't a present, I'd be tempted by the Jim Dandy but I may as well go for the best I can afford within the budget.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    If I was in the market for a good parlour guitar I'd get the Faith like a shot.
    Lovely little guitars.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    There isn't enough Parlor Guitars especially around that price point. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    edited March 2017
    The basic spruce or mahogany top Taylor GS Mini is a little more money (but can be found used well under your budget!) - it's not absolutely a parlour in the traditional sense but it's a great-sounding and surprisingly loud small-bodied acoustic (with a 23" scale). Might serve your needs well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Chuffola said:
    (Yes, I know this should be in Acoustics but, really, does anyone go there?  I've moved it here to garner some comments!)

50th birthday is imminent (let's never mention it again...) and I'm being treated to a watch, a weekend away and a parlour acoustic, which were my requests. I'm going for a parlour because it's not something I'd buy myself normally and I want something that I'll have for the remaining 5-10 years of my life.

I think I'll have about £400 left for a parlour and I'm thinking Faith Naked Mercury, but I'm keen for other thoughts.

Who has what and what is it like?  Thanks. 
    FAITH NAKED MERCURY IS THE PERFECT PARLOR! so good i decided to shout!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    @Whitecat Heard good things, but it's really a parlour shape I'm after rather than a mini

@ThorpyFX I hear ya!!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    Fair enough. Sounds like the Faith is the way forward!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Chuffola said:
    @Whitecat Heard good things, but it's really a parlour shape I'm after rather than a mini

@ThorpyFX I hear ya!!
    My father in law has the naked mercury, I have the finished version. Both are lovely instruments.... 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Don't forget the guild gad f 20s!truly brilliant 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Gretsch Jim Dandy, huge fun for half your budget...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    Gretsch Jim Dandy, huge fun for half your budget...

Yes totally agree. I've had mine for a few years now and it's still the guitar I play most out of everything I have.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 253
    Another shout here for the Faith. Fantastic guitar. Also worth a look is the Tanglewood tw133. They've gone up in price a bit lately (probably a bit too close to the Faith now to be honest) but if you can find for a bit less they are worth a look. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Recording king make some nice guitars, but trying one might be difficult..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I have a tanglewood tw-133 - the price has gone up since I bought mine for around £220? And for that it was a steal. That's if you like the mahogany sound. Solid top and back, slotted headstock. I love the sound of mine, had it about 3 years and play the hell out of it at home. I have a faith dread and it is awesome, so if you can get a mercury for £400 then I agree that's your best bet for a spruce parlor.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Sorry to be boring but yeah it's another shout for Faith here. Had mine (naked model) for about 4 years, play it every day, I love how old it's looking already, it took a tumble a few years back, chip out of back of headstock from hitting radiator hard, still played in tune. Hard to beat at anything below a grand in my mind.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    One thing to mention, unless I am wrong, the faith has a short like 24" scale length. Not that its an issue, just not everyone gets on with short scale lengths.