Are Marshall amps poor quality

What's Hot
AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited March 2017 in Amps
I've been looking for a small tube amp to complement a fender princeton. I'd like a marshall but I tried a class 5 and it dies as I was trying it (brand new). 

Any thoughts
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24262
    Don't buy that one.
    23reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Might have been infant mortality failure, new valves can fail quickly. Friend of mine brought a brand new bass breaker from PMT, took it home and the valves failed within minutes 

As anything, be it an amp or a laptop or a car you have to be model rather than brand specific ..... some Marshalls are terrible in design but not all ...... 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Don't buy that one.
    I'm looking for a small plexi. If not the class 5 what could you suggest
  • Danny1969 said:
    Might have been infant mortality failure, new valves can fail quickly. Friend of mine brought a brand new bass breaker from PMT, took it home and the valves failed within minutes 

As anything, be it an amp or a laptop or a car you have to be model rather than brand specific ..... some Marshalls are terrible in design but not all ...... 
    in general is the build poor compared to others 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Danny1969 said:

in general is the build poor compared to others 
    No, but more accurately, yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24262
    Don't buy that one.
    Cornell Plexi 7
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
    edited March 2017
    Don't buy that one.
    Cornell plexi. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't buy that one.
    Cornell plexi. 
    Do you have personal experience of the amp?  1x12 or 1x10. Is the mkii worth buying over the mki?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The Class 5 is a terrible amp. I'm surprised any dealer has a new one left, they were discontinued several years ago… unless they've been reissued?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited March 2017
    I was in PMT in Salford yesterday and noticed they had a Bluesbreaker reissue in - priced a considerably to the North of £2000. To be fair there was a little notice advising interested parties to speak to a 'crew member' for their best price.

I've no idea whether these are any good - they're really not my kind of amp - but I was genuinely amazed at the price....
  • I was in PMT in Salford yesterday and noticed they had a Bluesbreaker reissue in - priced a considerably to the North of £2000. To be fair there was a little notice advising interested parties to speak to a 'crew member' for their best price.

I've no idea whether these are any good - they're really not my kind of amp - but I was genuinely amazed at the price....
    Me too.
    I was in PMT in Salford yesterday and noticed they had a Bluesbreaker reissue in - priced a considerably to the North of £2000. To be fair there was a little notice advising interested parties to speak to a 'crew member' for their best price.

That will be the Hand Wired reissue. The standard PCB one is not much more than half that.

Along with the JTM45 head, one of the best-made and best-sounding amps they make now - somewhat ironically, given that it's a reissue of their first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Every company has had their share of great amps and bad amps. Same as most things in life... you have to take the good with the bad.

Nit knowing context of your needs it's hard to accurately advise or suggest a brand let alone a specific amp. If it were me I'd be looking at a Marshall VM2266C, 70s JMP combo or going for broke with a Friedman.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17602
    tFB Trader
    I have an mjw mini jcm800 for sale which will be better made  than any Marshall
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:

If it were me I'd be looking at a Marshall VM2266C
    I wouldn't…

+1

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Fender Bassbreakers are meant to be Plexi-like I think - or you could try "Brit" mode on an Egnater Tweaker
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

If it were me I'd be looking at a Marshall VM2266C
    I wouldn't…

+1
    Owned 2 mate and gigged with one. Never had an issue and at volume on the low dynamic channel with a clean boost you could have mistaken it for a jtm45. Cracking amp imo.
    lonestar said:

Owned 2 mate and gigged with one. Never had an issue and at volume on the low dynamic channel with a clean boost you could have mistaken it for a jtm45. Cracking amp imo.
    So why have I repaired several? With faults that were caused by design flaws and poor spec of components.

Why were they discontinued after only a short production run, considering the investment that went into them?

Why has one of their most well-known users (Robin Trower) now gone back to using a JTM45 and a Bluesbreaker?

The same as with *every single time* someone says they owned an unreliable amp and never had a problem with it  - you need to look at the overall picture. Whether the failure rate is 5% or 25%, you could easily own one for a while and it would be fine, but one is clearly much worse than the other.

The VM is poorly designed and poorly made.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    lonestar said:

So why have I repaired several? With faults that were caused by design flaws and poor spec of components.

Why were they discontinued after only a short production run, considering the investment that went into them?

Why has one of their most well-known users (Robin Trower) now gone back to using a JTM45 and a Bluesbreaker?

The same as with *every single time* someone says they owned an unreliable amp and never had a problem with it  - you need to look at the overall picture. Whether the failure rate is 5% or 25%, you could easily own one for a while and it would be fine, but one is clearly much worse than the other.

The VM is poorly designed and poorly made.
    I was talking about my own experience. I don't think there is a need for that much condescension mate.

I prefer older Marshalls, I've owned several of them too. My favourite (if I had the space to turn it up) would be the 87x.  

Now... to add further fuel I did say that ive owned two VMs and gigged with them with no issue. I've also gigged a DSL401c with no issue and apparently they're prone to overheating (?)

So, perhaps I got lucky. But I think it's fair to say that most modern amps from larger companies aren't made to the same standard as yester-year. I'd imagine this had helped smaller boutique builders show off their art.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Going back to the Class 5 for a moment, Marshall actually issued a service bulletin on how to rectify 'rattling issues' I still have it if anyone still has a rattling Class 5, I would be happy to send it over.