Is It a Fake or Real?

What's Hot
LaGartonLaGarton Frets: 3
Hi all, looking at buying a secondhand Epiphone Les Paul 100 and i'm checking it out this weekend. The guy seems genuine when talking to him but its concerned me because when I put the serial number in online to the database it couldn't find it. I feel the guy has no reason to sell a fake and I dont doubt him but its my first electric guitar and im still only doing a part time jobs so its a few weeks wages going into this! The guitar can be found here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/epiphone-les-paul-100/1223270320
Im either buying this or failing that, an Epi LP Special VE
Many thanks in advance for any advice about this matter guys/girls!
Lloyd
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    Some useful stuff for newer Epiphones here https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=137098806349259

To be honest, and speaking as a bloke whose first guitar cost a tenner, anything at that price which is playable and is in reasonable condition is fine - regardless of what it might claim to be.  Fwiw, it looks fine.

Welcome to the forum Lloyd :)
  • LaGartonLaGarton Frets: 3
    Thanks for the advice, it wouldnt bother me to much if it was but Id like to know out of curiosity if that makes sense? Because if it was fake i could buy a proper epi for an extra £30
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Serial number does check out. If you tried guitardater and so forth then it doesn't recognise the post 2008 non-prefix numbers.

From that serial, I think it's:

Year: 2012
    Month: March
    Factory: Unidentified Chinese
    Unit Number: 3315

Either way, it doesn't look fake, and for the cash, TBH it doesn't matter that much as long as it plays well and sounds ok (i.e. it all works) !!

Thank you bridgehouse, hopefully will have a Les Paul soon then!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    LaGarton said:
    Thank you bridgehouse, hopefully will have a Les Paul soon then!
    If you can, go and see it and play it. 
    Arranged a time to go see it soon and plug it in, hopefully all will be good and everything will be straight and play beautifully
    Just thought I'd update everyone on this, it was indeed real and played like a dream! So much for the paycheck which had gone in the day before to my bank! Hopefully will be putting some new pickups in the neck position for a meatier sound and manufacturing a pickguard for it at somepoint but i'm not sure what colour to do it yet so opinions are welcome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    LaGarton said:
    i'm not sure what colour to do it yet so opinions are welcome.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    Well thats certainly different!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom