irig Acoustic Stage - mic/pickup

What's Hot

Anybody got any experience with this product?...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/

Good points... bad points?

Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited March 2017
    No experience but watching with interest - demos sound great.
    My only concern would be that my experience of using things live based on impressive sounding DI'd demos hasn't always been a happy one.....
  • Lewy said:
    No experience but watching with interest - demos sound great.
    My only concern would be that my experience of using things live based on impressive sounding DI'd demos hasn't always been a happy one.....

I've totally fallen out of love with piezo pickups on acoustics (well... I was never in love with them... I tolerated them... but not anymore)... so I'm interested to see how this pans out.
    edited March 2017
    I'm generally a K&K Pure Mini and job done kind of guy but this really does sound very good...I'd worry a bit about whether the positioning of the mic would make it pick up a lot of extraneous noise from the way I play with a flatpick - my fingertips are in light contact with the pickguard and slide up and down it as my picking hand moves.....

F**k it I might just have to get one.....it's just cheap enough to take a punt and will probably be good for something.....
  • I predict I would get through maybe the first verse before that thing was clipped by my flailing hand and launched into someone's pint. At least piezos are out of the way!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I predict I would get through maybe the first verse before that thing was clipped by my flailing hand and launched into someone's pint. At least piezos are out of the way!

That could be a valuable addition to my live performance. End each song with the mic-ed up bubbling sounds of a pint of Fosters.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I bought one with some Xmas money because it allows me to amplify my classical and uke without having to drill holes.
    sounds good on my fender dreadnought 
    but the revelation is what it has done for my Kramer Ferrington - piezo is soooooooooooo bright and tinny, but using this and blending the two sources is great.

havent tried it live yet.

downsides
    - signal is not strong, but just require turning up the amp
    - I cannot believe the thin cable and connection will last a lifetime
    - it doesn't fit very well on my classical because the soundboard is quite thick - one would have thought the designers might have worked that one out

still think reasonable value at the mome t

• @sev112... Thanks for the info.  Is the one you bought the new model that was announced at January's NAMM show i.e. the Stage version (with the separate pre-amp / DSP)?

With your Kramer... what does it sound like if you just use the iRig mic (with no output mixed in from the piezo)?

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739

@sev112... Thanks for the info.  Is the one you bought the new model that was announced at January's NAMM show i.e. the Stage version (with the separate pre-amp / DSP)?

With your Kramer... what does it sound like if you just use the iRig mic (with no output mixed in from the piezo)?

Yep , it's the new one

Kramer just using the iRig Mic is much much better sounding.  But I find that a little bit of the piezo gives it a reasonable bit of brightness but not too much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @sev112 Thanks. Good to get some info. from a user.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Thanks guys.  Nice find, pretty low cost and just what I need.  Going to give it try :-)
  • @daveww Please let us know how you get on with it.
    Will do
  • I also have one in the post and shall feed back.
    I also have one in the post and shall feed back.
    Ditto
  • @bermudianbrit and @Lewy.... you are top chaps!
    Should arrive tomorrow.  Love a new gadget to play with!
    edited March 2017
    Quick first impressions at bedroom volumes -sounds like it does on the demos. The calibration function does seem to make a difference and made the signal sound more like my guitar rather than just a guitar.

The feedback reduction works quite well and only using the bright setting generated high frequency feedback that it couldn't improve.

Theres a mic-like ambience to the sound - that's what is going to require further testing at volume to see if it stays sounding nice or whether gig-level volume reveals any honky nastiness.

In terms of build, the cable is very thin but no different to the cable on something like a DPA 4099G. The preamp is plasticky and cheap. Doesnt feel like it would survive its first stage mishap.

Will report back after louder testing.

• @Lewy. Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's off to a promising start. I'll be interested to hear how it shapes up at volume. Meanwhile... thanks.
    I quite like it.  Tried it, like Lewy, at very low volume through the acoustic setting on my THR10 and it sounds nice.  The lead to the mic has to be thin I guess otherwise it'd be cumbersome.  I had to play very quietly and the output from the amp seems quite low but I made a quick very fumbled recording.  I'll try and get a more realistic sound recording later through a bigger amp and mic it up.  I'm mainly interested in what it sounds like through a PA and it'll be a few weeks before I can try that.  I also wonder how long the batteries will last.

https://soundcloud.com/david-woodhouse/untitled/s-9LIpp

• @Lewy and @daveww. What's it like to attach to the guitar? Is it easy to attach... is it fairly firmly held in place?  Does it get in the way of playing?

@daveww Thanks for the recording. Sounds good... and nice playing.