Having a guitar made... who would you pick to do it?

What's Hot

Comments

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Jack_ said:
    Many of the custom builders want near CS prices for a Fender build, with the catch that resale is so much harder.
    This is just the reality of life. It costs that amount to make a high quality guitar by hand. Boutique guitar making is a pretty marginal business in terms of profit for most guitar makers. They are making a guitar for you to play; not one for you simply to sell on. The only guitars with a reliable resale value are the ones made by the big, well known, companies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I think the Stellacaster was about 2K ish, don't know exactly cos sponsor paid for it. I think though that when it comes to having your guitar made exactly to your spec the resale shouldn't factor into any decision .... If you give enough thought to what you want then you should get exactly what you want ... I know I did
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I've got to say Jonathan @FelineGuitars would be top of my list

I've had the pleasure of having the stand next to him at the guitar show for the past couple of years and his stuff is sublime.

@digitalscream jaden teles are also a bit special
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1679
    As others have said - Mark Bailey.

Also, I did a guitar build course with James Collins - his builds are spectacular. www.jamescollinsguitars.com

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @FelineGuitars for me too.

I have one of the 20th Anniversary Lions as well as a Custom that he built for me, to my specs. Exceptional craftsmanship, customer service and choice.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    I rather boringly went with a custom specced Suhr in a moment of rashness, through Guitar Guitar in Brum. Four month turn around. I have to say though that the guitar is sublime in every way. See avatar for pic....
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Been checking out jaden and suhr but it's all a bit modern looking for me.. I'd quite like a custom jazzmaster..
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    For modern stuff, I'd go Kauer...

...or Bilt

For vintage, I'd have no questions over ordering from Danocaster

Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited March 2017
    Hmm the danocaster stuff looks fine.. as does bilt 
  • damien probett - the best in the business IMHO
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Monteleone or Benedetto. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2017
    @Feline. I keep meaning to order one. But as my 50th is in two years. I think I will bite the bullet this autumn. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    edited March 2017
    Bravewood built mine, a candy apple red strat with 66 headstock, baseball bat neck and Mojo pickups! It sings!
    https://i.imgur.com/adjJwbW.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Anybody willing to say what they've paid for their UK-built guitars?

Just asking out of interest.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Bilt, Ayers Guitar Co, DiPinto and Fender CS.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    Moss said:
    For modern stuff, I'd go Kauer...

Phwoar!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    damien probett - the best in the business IMHO
    As far as I know he stopped doing custom stuff to concentrate on a handful of models so he could streamline production.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    I know lots of people on here have custom guitars. Who made yours? How much choice did you have over the design and of course, post a pic.
    I think it would depend on what I wanted.

There is a huge choice of custom builders who'll build you something in this design, that design, or (possibly) the other design.  IE, they'll build something to your spec in terms of hardware and finishing, but the finished item will look very familiar.  Just to be 100% clear - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

There are other builders who'll build you something to your complete own design - if you can describe it or draw it, they can build it.

I've long promised myself a Feline "one day" although the amount of playing I get to do nowadays make it ever less likely that I could justify it.  If I was in the market for a custom build, Jon would certainly be on my (very) short list of people to talk to.  The other person on that (very) short list would be Mark Bailey.  He custom-made my #1 guitar and has overseen me making some of my own custom builds (each of which turned out very nicely indeed).  He is a very talented man.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    edited March 2017
    I was turned on to Scotts work when I was looking for a replacement neck for an EVH Wolfgang. Checking out Jet City guitars I saw the guitars he has made and thought they were mint, so I was gonna order a custom one for me when this popped up, it was one he made for himself but ended up never playing it.

It was pretty close to what I was looking to order except body wood so I thought to hell with it and took the plunge. Great guitar, beautifully made, plays and sounds awesome!! I know he is stateside but he is super friendly and can make you whatever you like pretty much, although I've never seen him make an LP style guitar.

Lightweight alder body with custom thin skin matte inca silver finish, Birds Eye Maple neck, dark indian RW fretboard, graphite reinforcement rods, 15" radius, Peavey wolf neck carve, full german schaller parts, bourns pots, switchcraft parts.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/holpop0/Wolfgang_zps0fzvizpl.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/holpop0/Wolfgang1_zpsxurx6ogn.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/holpop0/Wolfgang2_zpss0cy5tv3.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/holpop0/Wolfgang4_zpsk5qebhul.jpg

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p502/holpop0/Wolfgang3_zpsa7zpe02t.jpg

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/jet-city-guitar-thread.1609095/

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Bravewood built mine, a candy apple red strat with 66 headstock, baseball bat neck and Mojo pickups! It sings!
    https://i.imgur.com/adjJwbW.jpg

Nice! My '63 S type also has a monster neck on it. Love the Bravewood guitars.