Separate modelling section

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    If we got the search function fully functional, easy to use, easy to filter down to what you're looking for, would that help?

Google finds stuff across the whole www - strikes me that we should be able to put something together for the site that would overcome a large part of the "which section should I post this in" problem - because it would be findable wherever it was posted.

Maybe even have keyword alerts set-up, so if anyone mentions "word", you get an email alert ...

?
    Search is actually incredibly hard to do well.

The fact that the best search in the world into which billions of dollars of r&d has been spent is available for free obscures this fact.

The search on this site works extremely well in that it's fast and contains a wide variety of options. The problem is that you have to know how to structure​ a search query with some understanding of what you are looking for.  This is a skill people don't have anymore as we are all used to typing any old rubbish into Google and having it work out what we mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Why does everything have to be labelled and pigeonholed?
    Let's just make it a big free for all so that each time you click on a thread you get a big surprise.

Why not just prefix any digital related threads with the letter D so that all us folks with learning difficulties can make an informed choice before the risky business of clicking on a potentially confusing subject?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I think I'd caveat "the search on the site is fully functional" by saying "the search on the desktop site is fully functional" 

(unless I'm missing something - because for me the mobile search is fairly crippled, unfortunately). 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26460
    edited March 2017
    I think I'd caveat "the search on the site is fully functional" by saying "the search on the desktop site is fully functional" 

(unless I'm missing something - because for me the mobile search is fairly crippled, unfortunately). 

There's a limited amount we can do with the mobile end of things. However, I've got something in mind which *may* help both. It's a purely cosmetic change, but I don't believe the problem with the search plugin is the functionality.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23959
    Sporky said:

Moot point anyway, because the decision's already made.
    You say that, but it would be a fairly trivial project to post every modmin some Fox's bisquits. Let's see how long any decision lasts against that.
    I'm not a modmin, and I didn't really have an opinion either way.

But if it was these

Then

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there a major reason NOT to have a separate section? There seems to be a lot of pushback for a fairly sensible request.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Is there a major reason NOT to have a separate section? There seems to be a lot of pushback for a fairly sensible request.
    Yes. Have you read the thread? The extra headache of ensuring that things go in the right section (along with the difficulty in defining it).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @digitalscream yes, I have, thanks.

It's no more of a headache than what people have now though where there's a crossover between FX/Amps etc - as has been mentioned. I had an FRFR I wanted to sell, I knew the guys in the FX section would get more out of that, but felt I had to post it in the Amps section in the end. Having these limitations are a just a painful side effect of the typical forum setup. There are better and more intuitive ways to delimit taxonomies etc, but that's a different subject. 

@digitalscream yes, I have, thanks.

It's no more of a headache than what people have now though where there's a crossover between FX/Amps etc - as has been mentioned. I had an FRFR I wanted to sell, I knew the guys in the FX section would get more out of that, but felt I had to post it in the Amps section in the end. Having these limitations are a just a painful side effect of the typical forum setup. There are better and more intuitive ways to delimit taxonomies etc, but that's a different subject. 
    If you'd properly read the thread, you'd know that the "headache" that I'm talking about is from a moderation perspective.

From a member perspective, going from two categories which have grey areas to three categories with grey areas isn't improving things at all. Given that I could name 15 amp models and ranges off the top of my head (not remotely an exhaustive list) which sit in that grey area, it's too big to justify.
    <space for hire>
  • @digitalscream Don't know what the attitude is for, mate, to be honest. Because that was my point, there'd be less moderation issues if neither moderators or users were constrained by categories and we pushed past that. Like I said, it's too big a discussion for this thread and would mean changing things in a radical way which I don't think anyone has time or impetus to do.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I would apply the principle that if the primary intended use of the device is to amplify signal (whether analogue, digital, modelling, solid state or whatever) then it's in the amp sub forum.

If the primary intended use of the device is to add effects, it's in the FX sub forum.

For the likes of AxeFX/Helix and so forth where it's some of both, then perhaps post accordingly depending on the question/comment. However, in essence all these devices are there to offer amplification of an electric guitar output in one way or another.

There will always be some spill over of course, and some bits that are odd, but common sense should prevail - we don't need any more sub forums as the current set covers everything.

Now, a classifieds sub forum for all bass related stuff (basses, amps, pedals etc..) that would be good ;)
    My Primary use of Helix is as an audio interface with built in DSP effects. I think it should go under Studio/Recording...

Ive also used my Katana as an Audio Interface...confused now!
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    @digitalscream Don't know what the attitude is for, mate, to be honest. Because that was my point, there'd be less moderation issues if neither moderators or users were constrained by categories and we pushed past that. Like I said, it's too big a discussion for this thread and would mean changing things in a radical way which I don't think anyone has time or impetus to do.
    No attitude. I've explained it several times in this thread, and it gets tiring doing that over and over.
    <space for hire>
    If I bang on a cab as a cahon should that be in amps or in Other instruments?

And If I use my harmonica as a slide...?
    @digitalscream Don't know what the attitude is for, mate, to be honest. Because that was my point, there'd be less moderation issues if neither moderators or users were constrained by categories and we pushed past that.

The obvious step isn't to create an extra forum then, its to merge FX, amps, and guitars into one big section.

Personally, I strongly suspect that a "modelling" subsection would end up with the same dozen users having lots of chat amongst themselves and everyone else forgetting it was there. I know I would.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @digitalscream --- the search *functionality* seems to work fine, for me. The problem on the mobile site is that there's no way (that I can see) to filter messages by forum, date, etc (this all works great on the full site). Its not the functionality that needs changed, just the means of accessing it!
    @digitalscream Don't know what the attitude is for, mate, to be honest. Because that was my point, there'd be less moderation issues if neither moderators or users were constrained by categories and we pushed past that.

The obvious step isn't to create an extra forum then, its to merge FX, amps, and guitars into one big section.

Personally, I strongly suspect that a "modelling" subsection would end up with the same dozen users having lots of chat amongst themselves and everyone else forgetting it was there. I know I would.

That is exactly what happened to the Bass section when it was moved to being a sub-section on the first page. It has to be clicked to see if there have been any changes, whereas the others at least show the name of the top subject and poster.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    edited March 2017
    With the ongoing growth in modelling ala Kemper, Helix, Fractal - it seems to make sense to me to have a  separate section 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I forget that bass and acoustic are even there. Put them back in guitar where they belong :)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I forget that bass and acoustic are even there. Put them back in guitar where they belong :)
    Nah - I don't want to subject everyone else to my inane dribblings about low frequency matters....!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Whilst we are at it:

Can we combine theory and technique into one section, oh and move this thread to help & feedback?