Fender classic player strats

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
What's the general opinion on these? I fancy buying a Strat at some point this year and these keep catching my eye, would an American Standard be a better bet? Or the Classic series be a good cheaper option?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    I actually think the Classic Player is the best non  USA Strat you can buy - retains a vintage flavour regarding many features - albeit a modern 2 point trem - but 9.5 radius and chunkier frets ensures it is more 'user friendly' than regular vintage replicas with a similar price tag - The Masterbuilt guys had a hand with the actual design of this Strat

To compare it to a Standard Strat - then are you comparing a new Classic Player to a used AM Strat (hence similar price) - or new v new,  as price can come into play - also which AM Strat - the earlier versions are more basic than later models with Custom Shop p/ups - so no definitive answer - your hands and ears will always help - But I do like the Classic Players

Of course you can't buy new AM Strat Std models now, unless any dealers have any old stock left, as the professional series has replaced them, albeit with a hefty price increase
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Loads of AM standards being punted off by the bigger dealers. 950 quid seems the going rate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    Ive read the Classic Player has a 12'' board and the Classic Series has 7.5, also the series has ''vintage style frets'', are they thin frets then? I'm only used to playing a 9.5 board with medium jumbo frets and to my inexperienced fingers the Medium Jumbo frets seem a little cumbersome. Classis Series guitars can be had fairly cheap second hand although as with anything else second hand doesn't give me any reassurances. I would probably seek out a second hand Classic Player though as they arnt a cheap guitar to buy new.
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    Ive read the Classic Player has a 12'' board and the Classic Series has 7.5, also the series has ''vintage style frets'', are they thin frets then? I'm only used to playing a 9.5 board with medium jumbo frets and to my inexperienced fingers the Medium Jumbo frets seem a little cumbersome. Classis Series guitars can be had fairly cheap second hand although as with anything else second hand doesn't give me any reassurances. I would probably seek out a second hand Classic Player though as they arnt a cheap guitar to buy new.
    50's has a 9.5" and 60's has 12" - yes regular Classic models have 7.25 and smaller frets

horses for courses on a preference of 9.5 v 7.25 and big frets v small - I prefer 9.5 and larger frets for easier string bending - with big frets I find 9/10 or 11 gauge strings are usable - with small frets I find I can only really bend a set of 9's (comfortably)

You should be fine buying used - check it out first and check all works well - check any fret wear - from a dealer all such issues should be taken care of
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    I prefer the Classic Series.  I'm convinced Strats sound better with a vintage style bridge with 6 screws rather than the modern 2 point trem.

I'd try few and see if you like the 7.25" radius.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I'm so not a strat guy, and I've really really tried. Like I've kept buying them and selling them.. The nearest I ever came to keeping one, and the only one I kind of regret selling, was a 50s classic player. If I could get one for what I sold it for, I'd do it tomorrow!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    I had a classic player until Last weekend. You can't go wrong with them.they will even keep a USA 62 reissue honest.pretty much impossible to get a better strat for the money they come up s/h. Only issue I found both on mine,and my pals is that the cs69 pickups are quite noisy.maybe screening isn't all it could be? I'm sure it's easily sorted.
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
    Yeh,classic player 50's in shoreline gold,fantastic guitar had to sell mine for funds but would buy another.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    I've had an an American standard and a classic player. Much preferred the classic player. It played better and sounded far better.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359

That's a good price, a little early for me though, it will be a couple of months before I can buy one, but looking at second hand prices the Classic Player is pretty affordable.
    Did they change much over the years or did the spec stay the same? Ive seen a few on EBay and the tuners look a little mullered and bent at the very top of the peg, is this normal? Also Ive noticed a few listed as having fret wear, can this be a problem?
    tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:

That's a good price, a little early for me though, it will be a couple of months before I can buy one, but looking at second hand prices the Classic Player is pretty affordable.
    Did they change much over the years or did the spec stay the same? Ive seen a few on EBay and the tuners look a little mullered and bent at the very top of the peg, is this normal? Also Ive noticed a few listed as having fret wear, can this be a problem?
    not sure what you mean by mullered - they certainly should not be bent - Fret wear can be a problem - If very slight then it can look worse than it is, but obviously as time goes on, the more you play it, then one day it will require a fret dress - many players can own a guitar for 10 years and it will never need a fret dress - depends how much you play and dirty strings is a big cause of worn frets - just a hunch, but if you can see the wear on a picture, than it is probably best to leave it unless the price is fine for you to justify buying it and taking it to a good tech - If it is only minor/flat spot then at this stage it should be fine - In an ideal world then no wear at all is preferred