Helix Screen Protectors

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
I decided to have a go at making screen protectors for the Helix. It may be overkill/overprotective but where's the harm :-)

I nosed about for suitable stuffs and settled on thin Lexan for the protector itself (the thinnest I could find on eBay so that it could be cut with scissors) and the thin double-sided tape that phone screen repairers use to stick it down (leaves no residue and is thin)

The tape
 (NB this is before - the thing over the main screen is how it came out of the box)

As it is double sided I put it down bit by bit, then cut the Lexan, and whacked it on top.

First piece of tape down...

The 3 more strips, and the first piece of protector on top...

Up close like this you can see that the tape isn't completely straight, and neither is my hand cutting along the top edge. I reckon if you had access to a guillotine cutter it would easily do the Lexan. 

My A3-sized Lexan didn't quite go the full width, but covers all the display areas

Bottom strip fitted

Main screen done next...

Again, not perfect close up...

With it switched on to see if the display is hampered...

I've elft it with just the bottom row and the main screen done for now so I can see if it is a problem in different lighting conditions.

I can tell already that the Lexan is more reflective than the actual screen material, but a quick play didn't cause any problems.

If it did, then it is the job of a couple of seconds to peel it off and no harm done.  (I left a piece of the tape stuck to the casing for a few days before I did this to reassure myself it leaves no residue)

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28123
    Does all the touchscreen stuff still work?

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Sporky said:
    Does all the touchscreen stuff still work?

;)
    Exactly as it did before, yes 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Nice work, I've just ordered an iPad screen protector to cut up and do somthing similar
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Ah that's a good idea yes 
    Red ones are better. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    next up has to be clearing out some of those cables, looks like theres more cable than floor!