A Question of Gig Transport!

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

@mike257

If your Guitarist leaves, give us a shout!

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my current band, which is yet to gig, 4 / 5 of us drive.  The singer has a Scooter which IMO doesn't count because she can't do motorways, but she's still a student and that is what she can afford.

I drive a Skoda Fabia.  I have to remove the rear seats and flatten the backrests to get my gear in easily, but there is plenty of room when I've done that.  I can still take one person in the front.

When I play out I usually take a head (flightcased) two guitars (hard cased), pedal board (flight cased), 2x12 or 4x12 cab (with cover) and spares box (just a really useful box bought from B+Q, sturdy enough for what it carries).

A cab is the only equipment I would consider not having a hard case for providing it is going in my car.  If we get to the stage where we get a van I will also flight case my cab though.
  • @mike257

If your Guitarist leaves, give us a shout!

;)
    Maybe, Mike is the guitarist.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I use one of these: 

Tremendous bit of kit, has fit a full four-piece band and all gear in there (although we never had to supply PA, you'd probably need a second vehicle for that), classed as a car rather than a van for insurance purposes so considerably cheaper (and you don't have to have just one 'named driver', anyone with fully comp insurance can drive it), legendary Jap reliability. A bit heavy on the juice, but still cheaper than running two cars (probably)...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Oddly enough I have been looking at the world of Japanese grey imports and mini vans recently ( I'm guessing at some point that ^ was a grey import). Not with band stuff in mind particularly but it is an interesting way to get a lot of metal for your money and some of them have nifty features ( like the Mazda Bongos that came factory fitted with a kitchen unit).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Yeah, the Delicas (IIRC) were all greys, that particular model (L400) only appeared in this country between 1994-5 I think. Bloody lovely bit of kit, I love it; need to give mine a bit of cosmetic TLC over the winter, especially having seen how badass they CAN look. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Lots of laws about car ownership in Japan so you can find ten year old diesel mini vans with only 30K on the clock in showroom condition.Not cheap as chips but within my price range. I much prefer driving van/mini van/MPV type vehicles to modern cars where you can't see the corners and your arse is on the floor. Not sure how much street cred there is in driving a 1990 Bongo though. Anyway, band transport. My one experience with a band member who couldn't /wouldn't drive was pretty negative and I would be wary in future. However, currently putting together a band in which I am the youngest so far and everyone else has a bigger car than me anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6487
    edited August 2013
    Roaster said:
    Mondeo estate which carries: 2 x Mackie SRM 450s, Laney active wedge, Blackstar Series one 45 combo and 2x12 ext cab, Diago Tourman pedalboard, large wheeled Stanley toolbox which is now cable box, Drum hardware bag full of mic stands, ext reels guitar stands etc, 3 guitars usually and the mixing desk....who needs a van! Lol. Thing is mate you ave made your situation clear to whoever you play with so it's all up front and has been said above, the right people will help where they can
    I had a Mondeo estate once, and it was like a cavern inside - As you say, who needs a van?! A ridiculous amount of kit fitted inside.

Now I have a Volvo V50, which is loads smaller and I miss the room the Mondeo had.

As with most things band related - whether it's the style of music you decide to play, commitment to rehearsals midweek, how often you are prepared to gig, what you wear onstage, who gets what fee etc etc - as long as everybody is up front about how they feel and it is all agreed amicably from the off - and you stick to what you agree - then there's no right or wrong in terms of whether you should or should not HAVE to be able to drive.

That said, if you ARE reliant on someone else to pick you up, you do need to be respectful of that and not take the kinds of liberties that others have mentioned above - and then there's the fact that you may wish to bung a few extra quid to the driver as a thankyou so he can get a few beers on his night off or whatever.

Being one of two drivers in a four-piece band that gigs pretty much across the country, I am very conscious of the fact that it's muggins here who has to drive back for 2 hours in the early hours of the morning whilst the bassist snoozes in the passenger seat, so..just a bit of thoughtfulness goes a long way in terms of being ready for the off as soon as possible rather than nursing another pint and chatting to some drunk hanger-on when we could be halfway to the services and my next cup of coffee....:D  Thankfully our bassist is a considerate chap, so we don't get any of that nonsense, but I can imagine it severely trying the patience if it did happen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10371
    tFB Trader
    I would never consider being in a band where everyone didn't have their own transport ... sounds harsh ... but I've been fannied about so often by people without transport that I'd never do it again. That having been said I do make arrangements to take the bass player in the new band to take me to rehearsals ... or me to take him ... as we only live five minutes walk from each other and we both have huge 4x4s so it's more economical. We are rehearsing still as we only recently formed, but for gigs it will be much the same.

I'm another one who never drinks at gigs (these days ... though that was far from the case years ago). My luxury has always been the odd Christmas gig when I book myself a cab and can have a few jars after I come off stage (at venues where they have a flexible attitude to 'time').
    When I was a teen and had no car/license I used to leave my gigging amp with the bass player who had  a van ... and pay him petrol money and 'humping cash' out of my gig earnings to cart my amp with his. I used to sling my Tele on my back and take public transport there ... and hope I got lucky with a bed for the night (or a lift from a punter if I lucked out!)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I think it can work, as long as you're not an arse about it, and have sensible gear.

I used to pick up one of the guitarists in my last band, he drove, but it was on my way to practise, and their was limited parking there.

I never got any petrol money ("You were going anyway"), he was normally not ready, and insisted we take his halfstack every time (a Line 6 Spider).

Not sure why it too me so long to leave really!
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I'm in 2 bands, one 5 piece psych rock band where I am the only one who can drive, which is always a grade A pain in the arse, everyone relies on parents/friends for lifts with all their kit, of which we have a fair amount collectively because of the style, and ends up being late, or squashed, or leaving something behind, or waiting around for a lift, and a jazz trio where 2 of us drive which is just so much easier. We just chuck the double bass and keyboard into the cars and go, simples. The former is sort of breaking up now and I'd rather not have that arrangement again if I can help it
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited August 2013

A question of 2 parts.

PART 1

If you don't have your own transport, should you not even consider seriously joining a band.

I have a desire to get back into gigging, but owning and maintaining a vehicle would push my purse strings to bursting point.

Problem: A newer vehicle will be more expensive and generally more reliable whereas a cheap old Jalopy is easy to afford but you will spend more on Rabbit's feet warding of the "Breakdown Demon".

I know some bands will have transport, but it kind of makes you feel reliant and I don't like that and you also might miss out on a great gig where you need your own transport but did not have it etc.

PART 2 Very Important!

Having said all that, all of you with your own transport, if you take yourselves to the gig only, what do you use (Car, Van, Aircraft Carrier)

Whatever the vehicle you use, how do you secure your expensive Head (Tubes), Cab, Guitar, Gig Bags etc.

The last time I was in a gigging band was 1994 and all the band's gear was packed so tight into a VW Van, it secured itself (we only had solid state amps anyway) but in your solitary vehicle you would have to pack out the spaces and reduce manoeuvrability of your lovely gear.

May seem obvious to the experienced, but to someone who may be going back into it anew and one who's had 4 large bottles of Peroni is struggling with the concept.

Cheers for your input.

:-)

Part 1: IMHO I think people in bands should be self-contained and have cars.
    I've ended up being the 'band transporter' far too many times and it pisses me off.
    I don't do it anymore.

Part 2: I have a 3 series BMW which is large enough to carry my stuff and no one else's.
    I like to buy a car that is no more than 3-4 years old- you are over most of the major depreciation.
    Next time I might go for an X1 as it is easier to get stuff in but doesn't have the bulk of the X3/X5's.

I have full road cases for the very fragile stuff and soft cases for the rest.
    My drum kit fits in there too- bass drum across the back seat and pretty much everything else in the boot.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

Thanks again, Lads.

I think the overall consensus is

a) Your own vehicle gives you greater independance

b) All bands are different and have different arrangements, so it's a case of seeing what's out there if you can't afford to run your own vehicle

c) Use tact and generosity if you are provided with transport.

Common sense I suppose, but it's good to get a gauge of "feeling" amongst you.

@octatonic

Depending on what transport I may obtain and how securely the gear would be packed, would you always recommend road cases for an expensive tube amp head and cab?

I have hard cases for the guitars, but only a soft case for pedalboard and nothing for amp and head.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287

@octatonic

Depending on what transport I may obtain and how securely the gear would be packed, would you always recommend road cases for an expensive tube amp head and cab?

I have hard cases for the guitars, but only a soft case for pedalboard and nothing for amp and head.

I dont have any cases for my 2x12 or head. Theyve got some tolex scratches but other than that they're fine. I think ultimately it depends how precious you are about the cosmetic looks of your gear. For me personally the extra weight and hassle of cases isn't worth saving the odd scuff here and there.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793

Thanks again, Lads.

I think the overall consensus is

a) Your own vehicle gives you greater independance

b) All bands are different and have different arrangements, so it's a case of seeing what's out there if you can't afford to run your own vehicle

c) Use tact and generosity if you are provided with transport.

Common sense I suppose, but it's good to get a gauge of "feeling" amongst you.

@octatonic

Cab- not really. They are usually pretty indestructible. Head- it is up to the individual. You absolutely will get it knocked about. If you're keeping it forever and want it roadwork then no. I like my amps to stay minty if I can manage it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    octatonic said:
    Cab- not really. They are usually pretty indestructible. Head- it is up to the individual. You absolutely will get it knocked about. If you're keeping it forever and want it roadwork then no. I like my amps to stay minty if I can manage it.
    This is it - for myself, I only wrap an amp if I'm not sure whether it's going to stick around or not; my JCA50H, for example, will probably be with me forever. Not only is it a great amp, but second-hand values have fallen through the floor (you can buy it new now for less than half what I originally paid for it), so it's not worth selling even in a fit of pique. Ergo, it's been knocked around quite a bit as even more encouragement not to sell ;)
    <space for hire>
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Another BMW 3 Series here (tourer) had a Mondeo before which was also great. There have been one or two comments about getting a van but we will have to think about it a bit more as estate cars are pretty good for the type of gear we have i.e no 4x12s or bass bins.
     It depends a bit on what type of band and what age group but really if you want to be in a band you need some solution to transport.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I used to play in a band where all the gear went in the van and the assigned driver of the evening went round and picked everyone up and dropped them off after the gig. It was a good crack too! Nowadays in this band we all drive all live a fair way from each other so we bring our own gear to the gigs. I use an Astra van at the moment valve head, 4x12, 2 guitars pedal board, and lights fit in no problem. It's not such a laugh to and from the gigs but the band is much better so that makes up for it!
  • Hi guys,   I am currently in my first year of A-level and am required to do a project of my choosing. I have decided to focus on the transportation of guitar equipment. I have included a survey monkey link below as apart of my market research study for anyone who wouldn't mind completing it (takes less than a minute). Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   thanks guys,  Dan  Survey Monkey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2CGLG83
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Done, but it sounds more like market research. I would venture to suggest few musicians travel to gigs on public transport with gear compared to those that use motor vehicles, The village of London might be the exception.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.