Recommend me a Reverb & Tuner pedal (reasonable price please)

bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
So I'm hunting a portable head, not having much luck so far and am currently amp-less (killing me every day just that little bit more..) With the sale of my DRRi I am now likely to be reverb-less on the next head (thinking something Orange-y). So please offer me up a lovely reverb pedal to run in the fx loop what can go from subtle to full on washed-out heaven. 

Also, I should really get a stand alone tuner pedal to stick on the chain.. I feel robbed paying for a TU3 used.. must be something cheaper? Please? 

Would like to pay about £30 for a tuner used and about £60 for a reverb pedal.. used is the way forward on my budget..

Ideas are welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    edited February 2014
    bigfuzz said:
    So I'm hunting a portable head, not having much luck so far and am currently amp-less (killing me every day just that little bit more..) With the sale of my DRRi I am now likely to be reverb-less on the next head (thinking something Orange-y). So please offer me up a lovely reverb pedal to run in the fx loop what can go from subtle to full on washed-out heaven. 

Also, I should really get a stand alone tuner pedal to stick on the chain.. I feel robbed paying for a TU3 used.. must be something cheaper? Please? 

Would like to pay about £30 for a tuner used and about £60 for a reverb pedal.. used is the way forward on my budget..

Ideas are welcome!
    If you want a decent cheap tuner I'd buy the korg dt10 advertised on here
  • @john_p interesting - is it true bypass? is it just me or is it quite a sizeable pedal or am i over estimating the size?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

bigfuzz said:
    @john_p interesting - is it true bypass? is it just me or is it quite a sizeable pedal or am i over estimating the size?
    It's not mine - I just spotted it earlier today was very tempted.  I had one a few years ago and yes they are a little bigger than a boss pedal.  I couldn't tell you about the bypass I'm afraid but I don't recall it messing with my sound.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Hall of fame mini using toneprints

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    bigfuzz said:
    @john_p interesting - is it true bypass? is it just me or is it quite a sizeable pedal or am i over estimating the size?
    No TBP, IIRC. Slightly wider than a Boss, bit shorter. Been a long time since I had one, but it was a great tuner. Recommended (the one for sale isn't mine). If true bypass is a requisite, look for a used Pitchblack.

If the reverb *must* go in the loop, i'd look at used TC pedals. I think the Nova Reverb is a far better unit than the Hall of Fame, but it won't really do big and washed out. If you're not bothered about the loop, i'd get an RV-3 or RV-5, personally.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    My old Boss TU2 will be up for sale next week if you're in the market.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I had a Korg DT-10 that I sold.  I think it was because it sucked tone - so I guess it's not true bypass in response to the question above.

I'm currently using the tuner on my Line 6 M5.  It's not as nice as my TU-3 and it saves on space.  There reverbs in the M5 are quite good as well so that may be worth considering.  You'd get all kinds of bonus effects for free.

• Korg pitchblack is an excellent, accurate tuner. Not too big either.

As for reverb, there is the behringer rv600. It has some nice sounds for very little money. Otherwise, I LOVE the ehx holy grail, or the tc Hall of Fame, but it might go a touch over your used budget.

Lastly, digitech digiverb. Pretty good sounds, not too much dollar, bulletproof construction. I'd still take a a Hall of Fame, but they are a bit more expensive. I'd say worth it, if you're big on reverb.
  • I'm really gassing for a Mr Black Supermoon reverb.  Over budget but sounds lush
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited February 2014
    I bought a second hand digitech hardwire reverb for about £60 - extremely pleased with it. From a direct A/B I can say the spring setting is spookily close to the spring on a deluxe reverb, so if you're missing that (and who wouldn't) I reckon you'd like this. The plate and hall settings are also really good.

• interesting replies here.. pitch-black is on my radar now.. the used tu-2 could be a contender, how does it differ from the tu-3? 

reverb is a big part of my sound.. pretty much only used the DRRi with alot of washed out-ness. Idea of having setting to kick in a tidal wash of reverb on demand would be heaven, otherwise a springy sound would do the job in rest of my 'music'. I've been tracking the tc electronics flashback stuff.. looks like the reverb could be good too then? 

Can i ask why you'd not recommend sticking the boss rv-?'s in the loop? 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    TU-2 is the older version of the TU-3.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    The TU-2 is slightly less accurate than the TU-3 (+/- 3 cents instead of +/- 1), which bothers some people but is easily good enough as a stage tuner. It has a lower display resolution and no high brightness mode, which you might want on an outdoor gig. I still find the TU-2 perfectly good though.

Some Boss pedals have a headroom issue with some amp FX loops - but not all by any means. Although I haven't found either to be a problem, I would expect the older RV-3 (which is a delay/reverb so it does more as well, and I think seems to sell for a bit more) to be worse for it than the RV-5, but I might be wrong. The RV-5 has a very good spring reverb emulation too, whereas the 3 doesn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited February 2014
    I have a Hardwire Reverb which I'm looking to sell for around £60 if you're intersted.

Comes with box, instruction manual and unused stomplock. Home use only!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • A Zoom MS-70CDR with built-in tuner? :)
  • +1 on the Korg Pitchblack, really good, true bypass and less than £50 new so if you can find one SH I'd snap it up.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited February 2014
    bigfuzz;152919" said:

Can i ask why you'd not recommend sticking the boss rv-?'s in the loop? 
    You can put the Boss reverbs in the loop, but I think they sound better in front. Some loops can make the earlier (ie - not RV-5's) distort. I've yet to make a recent reverb clip, but I cannot say I've really tried to.
    Conversely, I think the TC stuff sounds better in a loop. Same with the Alesis half rack units - they're really designed to be in a loop, even though you can put them in front of the amp. As long as the loop doesn't hit the reverb so hard at line level that it clips, you'll be fine putting any reverb you want in there.

Edited to add the buffer is different in the TU-2 compared to the TU-3. The TU-2 actually changes the sound (brighter/sparklier) while the TU-3 sounded tbp, even though it's not. For my ears. Most people don't care. The TU-3 definitely registers faster than the 2, though.
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I think the Korg DT-10 referred to above is mine (I can't open the link). Its not true bypass, but it has a great buffer and I haven't noticed any tone loss. Its fast and accurate. PM me if you're interested in it
  • Ok will be looking at a pitchblack tuner then! The tc polytunes any good? Key thing is that it won't affect my tone.. pretty picky about pedals these days. 

Really intrigued by some of the higher end reverbs the more I watch youtube videos! This is dangerous.. is the EHX cathedral regarded as a top pedal?
  • bigfuzz said:
    Ok will be looking at a pitchblack tuner then! The tc polytunes any good? Key thing is that it won't affect my tone.. pretty picky about pedals these days. 

Really intrigued by some of the higher end reverbs the more I watch youtube videos! This is dangerous.. is the EHX cathedral regarded as a top pedal?
    Depends.  Try one and decide whether the sound is to your liking or not.  Lots of folks love the Strymon stuff, which is very definitely top spec, but some find it a bit clinical or boring.  

Taste and reliability are, in reality, all that truly matters in any effects pedal.  You either like the sound or not :)

The pitchblack is true bypass, the polytune almost certainly is too.  Both are brilliant.