Acoustic strings

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2370
Just ventured back to acoustic after sooo many years only playing electric and bass. 
Yesterday I bought a used Vintage v300 which needs new strings, on electric I use 10-52 and I'm thinking of D'Addario EJ26 which are 11-52, what is the general consensus on light guage acoustic strings? And are these D'Addario good at light guage? 

The v300 feels reet good btw, hugely impressed for the money. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    edited March 2017
    D'Addario are fine strings and 11s will be fine I reckon. If you find them a bit weedy-sounding then switch up to 12s. It depends on how well they drive the soundboard on your particular guitar.

I use 9-46 or 10-46 on electric, and 12-54 on acoustic, mainly to keep up with a double bass volume. If I was playing at home I would probably use 11s.

Happy NGD!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited March 2017
    The v300 has a long scale so try it with 11s and go up to 12s later if you are playing alot and have a low enough action to handle the extra tension.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Ok thanks chaps. 11s it is then. 
    @Winny_Pooh can you expand a little on the low action - extra tension please bud? 
    Do you mean the extra tension would be pulling the neck forward? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The biggest problem with most sets of 11s - including D'Addarios - is that for some unknown reason they have the G too light - in a typical set of 12s it's a 24, in a typical set of 10s it's a 23... and in a typical set of 11s it's a 22. Worse, the D and A are often the same gauges as in a set of 12s, so the result is that the G feels and sounds like a banjo string.

Why they do this I really have no idea - the 10s and 11s need to be the other way round. And yes, .001" really does make a big difference! If you can't find a set of 11s with a 23 G, you're actually better to buy a set of 12s and two plain 11 and 15 strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited March 2017
    @Sarge I meant that if you dont play acoustic often 11s to 12s may be a jump unless your action is low to start with. The extra tension being on your hands, nothing implied re the rod (although it may need a small tighten) all of this speculation depends on how your guitar is setup currently. 

Fwiw I'm enjoying Martin Monels on my GS mini so if you like a fairly woody tone they're great, otherwise phosphor bronze if you prefer more brightness. 
    @Winny_Pooh right I getcha, thanks. 
    Actually it currently has 12s on and I'm comfortable with that, so I'll go 12s.
    Thanks for the input chaps.