Modding a combo to use as a cab as an extra option

What's Hot
SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
I'm seriously downsizing and using the Boss Katana as my main amp. So far, so happy. I had a cunning plan to mod it with the option of getting a tiny but powerful lunch box head as a back up and using the Katana as a cab too. My amp guy is worried about the risk of my inadvertently firing up the amp section unloaded and blowing it if we make the mod. He's the expert so i take his lead....However, it would be an ideal so!Ution for me as i would only need to bring 2 boxes to a gig (the lunch box would be my safety net). Is there a way of negating or reducing this risk?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    @ICBM you'll know the answer to this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    There should be no danger from running the Katana unloaded - it's a solid-state output section and they almost never have a problem with that. The risk is if the jack contact isn't fully opened - you will end up with both power sections connected to each other - so don't ever put the plug in with either amp turned on since there will be a brief moment when the plug goes in where that's true.

But I think it's very unlikely that you'll need a backup for the Katana - Roland and Boss gear is legendary for its reliability. I know you can never say never and it's wise to plan ahead, but I think that unless you really need the option of a *different* amp, you're actually causing more potential issues than you're solving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's kind of what i thought. Thanks for the information @ICBM . I'm conditioned by years of valve amps and daft accidents (like a lead between the head and the cab giving up just before the start of a big event where i could not work out wtf was wrong!). Had to get another amp on stage....Not clever! I guess I'm just insecure but always good to have options..But the fewer the better! As i get older, i value more and more the elegance of simplicity. Shoulda been a Buddhist.
    What if I put a jack plug on the Katana amp section and wired the speakers to a socket? Bit like the Fenders i used to have.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    Spikeedog said:
    What if I put a jack plug on the Katana amp section and wired the speakers to a socket? Bit like the Fenders i used to have.
    Yes, that's much more foolproof. Although you want it the other way round :) - socket on the amp, plug on the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ....With a bit more cable so that the plug reaches the lunchbox. Nice one. You wisely mentioned the lifetime warranty..... Would be a goodbye to that..Mmmmm...