Modding and upgrading a Chibson DG335 replica/copy

What's Hot
Hey guys,
im about to receive my Chibson DG335 but not sure what to use when in the upgrading process. I want to buy some really decent PAF pickups at a cheap price as well as new pots, toggle switch, and input jack. Any ideas of what types of these items I should be getting and where can I get them from? Any other things I should look at modding??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Before anyone says it and causes upset...

I think a lot of folks would suggest the best upgrade would be the removal of any fake logos.

As for the pickups - I'd suggest looking at Iron Gear or Artec
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Electronically, I would go for CTS pots, orange drop capacitors, Switchcraft jack and toggle switch.

Best to go for a full wiring kit (and more economical) - I usually use to All Parts or Six String Supplies

http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/guitar-and-bass-electronics/wiring-kits-for-guitars-basses

http://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/wiring-kits

You need to work out if you need long/short shaft pots 

Also, be careful with the toggle switch - either use a short frame version of the switchcraft toggle, or the long frame version with the deep threaded nut. Without the nut, its unlikely the thread will go through your Chibson's top. I found this out the hard way and had to get a deep threaded nut separately.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Iron Gear Blues Engines work well in my Epi 335
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Don't know what you call cheap but check out vanson on eBay and I'd suggest their alnico 5 neck and alnico 2 bridge (both are about 8k).... Very cheap and actually decent enough pickups (lots of weight in them).  In fact had compliment at Almost blue (dundee pub music festival) from a guitar player who said it was nicest 335 tone he'd ever heard from 335 (and he plays a genuine old 335) that was on neck pickup though bridge was far too bright for a paf (14k on alnico 5) and tbh having one at 8k and one at 14k made middle position useless.  That's why I'd go for alnico 5 8k in neck and alnico 2 8k ish in bridge (guy said it's fine to order a set and specify in comments for a mixed set)

if you want proper high end sound pafs then Deacci LP-Zero set.  Sure they are about £130 a pair uncovered with covered being a little more expensive.  That's less than most big brands charge for factory wound paf's and you'll get seriously good sounding paf's that will rival the real thing and very best hand wounds.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I have yet to find any PAF-style better than Tonerider Alnico IV Classics.  I weakened once and put some Bareknuckles in my 335-style at double the price and in the end have replaced them with the Toneriders.  In my guitar, it now sound LOADS better.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6918
    tFB Trader
    I tried everything (well, almost) in a Gibson prehistoric Les Paul until settling on the Tonerider Classic IVs.