Expensive amps with crap graphics and fonts

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
edited March 2017 in Amps
Why oh why do so many get it so wrong?? The amount some builders charge why don't they spend some money on a graphic designer??? 

Good: Jackson Amp Works, Morgan, Carr, to name a few.

Bad: 633, 65 Amps, Swart (what is it with that logo), there are many more.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684

The logo is #17 on my list of things to choose an amp by, right after 'what does it smell like?'

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    edited March 2017
    I don't know... I'm currently allowed to keep my Cornell Plexi 7 in the living room.  It's not just that it's smaller than my old Rivera M60
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411

The logo is #17 on my list of things to choose an amp by, right after 'what does it smell like?'

Same here unless it was totally hideous. I might be concerned more by the graphics used for the controls it they were not clear but again a minor consideration if I liked the sound.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Like it or not, many of us find aesthetics important, you might have the sweetest Strat on Earth but if it was puke green etc etc ;). It always comes across as poor concept when an excellent product is let down by something as trivial as a logo or font 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    sweepy said:
    Like it or not, many of us find aesthetics important, you might have the sweetest Strat on Earth but if it was puke green etc etc ;). It always comes across as poor concept when an excellent product is let down by something as trivial as a logo or font 
    Totally agree. If an amp is cheap but good, no problem as the cost reflects the product on the inside not the outside. But...if its a £1500 to £2500 amp I want some time and effort put into the look and design. Same way Apple generally nail their design each time. Same way high end audio equipment like Naim, Audio Research, etc looks great, tactile, you want to use these products.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886

If two expensive amps sounded more or less the same - would you buy the one with the crap logo and fonts, or the one that had a bit of thought put into it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    The trouble is the best looking amps have been done - Blackface Fenders, Voxes, Marshall, etc all have a 'look' we accept as 'classic'. We accept them without thinking.

So a newer maker is up against it. I like the Matchless logo, Bad Cat looks good - but actually coming up with something distinctive yet classy is probably a tough call.

I agree with @menamestom - the logo would be a long way down my list of things which bother me.
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited March 2017
    The worst for me (but a great amp builder) is the Bognor logo, reminds me of old letraset transfer lettering from the 70's, yuk. The site is great and he's such a flamboyant person but that logo is shite.
    The other logo that bugs the hell out of me is the Friedman 'Roaring twenties' logo, at those prices it should be etched brass and a way better font.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2017
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    revsorg said:
    I don't know... I'm currently allowed to keep my Cornell Plexi 7 in the living room.  It's not just that it's smaller than my old Rivera M60
    This from the company who used to use Comic Sans on their control panels.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Zoolooter said:

If two expensive amps sounded more or less the same - would you buy the one with the crap logo and fonts, or the one that had a bit of thought put into it.
    I'd ask @ICBM which was built better and buy that!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684
      Zoolooter said:

Do they both smell good? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I'd use my fucking ears.

And if it had a shit-ugly logo, I'd take it off.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    Not an expensive amp but I've never liked the logo on my Laney, it's the old style white text one before they switched to the nicer looking metal plate. Think it just looks cheap. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3816
    Can I expand this to the actual name of amp companies too? As a Copywriter the words mean as much to me as the font and pretty pictures!  

Bad: Bad Cat, Lazy J (don't flame me), Danplifier (sorry, mate), Tone king 
    Good: Most amps which use the guy's surname 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

I'm afraid this logo just screams beginners toy to me.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom