Expensive amps with crap graphics and fonts

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042

19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
     That Hamstead logo reminds me of an old Vauxhall car badge or something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The trouble is the best looking amps have been done - Blackface Fenders, Voxes, Marshall, etc all have a 'look' we accept as 'classic'. We accept them without thinking.

So a newer maker is up against it. I like the Matchless logo, Bad Cat looks good - but actually coming up with something distinctive yet classy is probably a tough call.

I agree with @menamestom - the logo would be a long way down my list of things which bother me.

Mesa did okay. As did blackstar. 

And Carr amps look good. Friedmans just look like old marshalls... Which is okay, but it's the wrong name, so it looks more wrong I reckon  than had they done a new design. 

Not that it's easy, of course. Some amps rely on distinctive looks. What was the brand that looked like 50s TV sets. Super cool. On little legs and everything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Can I expand this to the actual name of amp companies too? As a Copywriter the words mean as much to me as the font and pretty pictures!  

Bad: Bad Cat, Lazy J (don't flame me), Danplifier (sorry, mate), Tone king 
    Good: Most amps which use the guy's surname 
    How very dare you. :-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not only the fonts etc but the names. Standing at the top are Friedmans - marketed at middle aged blokes with names thought up by 13 year olds. 55 year old balding flabby middle manager ( yep I know that's half if us) with an amp with Dirty Shirley written across it just looks a twat 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Zoolooter said:

If two expensive amps sounded more or less the same - would you buy the one with the crap logo and fonts, or the one that had a bit of thought put into it.
    I'd ask @ICBM which was built better and buy that!
    lol

Lebarque said:

Bad: Bad Cat, Lazy J (don't flame me), Danplifier (sorry, mate), Tone king 
    Danplifier is one of the best!

Agree about the others though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Lebarque said:
    Good: Most amps which use the guy's surname 
    Not sure I agree:

Carr - no - because it reminds me of Jimmy Carr.

Freidman - no - because it reminds me of Dean Friedman who recorded the truly awful 'Lucky Stars'

Morgan - no - because it's a very dull name....
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    revsorg said:
    I don't know... I'm currently allowed to keep my Cornell Plexi 7 in the living room.  It's not just that it's smaller than my old Rivera M60
    This from the company who used to use Comic Sans on their control panels.
    It kind of looks like a Railway station name sign from a bygone ages - maybe something from Pre-nationalised rail network like GWR or suchlike

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    FelineGuitars said:

It kind of looks like a Railway station name sign from a bygone ages - maybe something from Pre-nationalised rail network like GWR or suchlike
    I think it's LNER, but my days of serious railway buff-ery are several decades ago now :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Morgan should join forces with Freidman. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    miserneil said:

I'm afraid this logo just screams beginners toy to me.
    I'd say that one falls into this category, though:
    Zoolooter said:
    sweepy said:
    Like it or not, many of us find aesthetics important, you might have the sweetest Strat on Earth but if it was puke green etc etc ;). It always comes across as poor concept when an excellent product is let down by something as trivial as a logo or font 
    Totally agree. If an amp is cheap but good, no problem as the cost reflects the product on the inside not the outside.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    edited March 2017
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    FelineGuitars said:

I think it's LNER, but my days of serious railway buff-ery are several decades ago now :).
    I think you are right, each line had it's own stylings for the most part

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Just goes to show that Orange got the logo and graphics absolutely spot on.  And they sound great too which is a bit of a bonus.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I once had a 90's Peavey Classic 50. After 5 mins it was simply a Classic 50. And thats the nicest looking Peavey ever! (Well, the wiggie was cool)

Amps should look sexy, I always loved the Matchless colour options etc. This is my Ceriatone.

http://i.imgur.com/l7l6nQm.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I think Tone King have got a great aesthetic going on. Very unique and cool imo.

Any plexi style builder is automatically going to copy marshall. Fair enough. 

For me, Dumble are amongst the least pleasing visually but I suppose if you've made a good sounding amp do you have time to worry about how it looks? Especially if you're a one man band or small company. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    edited March 2017
    ^^^

Ceriatone Creme Brulee?

It wasn't owned by this bloke was it?

Related image

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    lonestar said:
    For me, Dumble are amongst the least pleasing visually
    I agree - it's certainly the main reason I haven't bought one.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Yeah I mean... the last time I had £20K sitting there I couldn't do it. I certainly didn't want an ugly ass Dumble sitting in my living room!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:
    Yeah I mean... the last time I had £20K sitting there I couldn't do it. I certainly didn't want an ugly ass Dumble sitting in my living room!

Heaven forbid! It would be like the Mona Lisa - lovely painting of ugly woman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom