Low fuss strap locks for guitars with bigger strap buttons

What's Hot
BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
I think the more substantial strap lock systems are more hassle than they are worth.  I like the Planet Waves self-locking straps or the little Dunlop Strap Locks.  Minimum fuss and I've never had any issues.

Problem is they are designed to fit standard strap buttons and won't fit the bigger buttons on my PRS. 

Any low fuss suggestions for bigger strap buttons?  
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Swap the strap buttons.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Grolsch washers seem to be favourite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Sassafras said:
    Grolsch washers seem to be favourite.
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    Grolsch washers - they are just a perfect engineering solution, especially if you don't need to take the strap off, which I never do.
    Simple, cheap and they never fall off.
  • octatonic said:
    Grolsch washers - they are just a perfect engineering solution, especially if you don't need to take the strap off, which I never do.
    Simple, cheap and they never fall off.
    And you get beer. Mmmm, tasty tasty beer...
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    I've never tried the Grolsch washers although long aware people use them - I just thought if they were good with a standard button they might be too small for the bigger one.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I've never tried the Grolsch washers although long aware people use them - I just thought if they were good with a standard button they might be too small for the bigger one.

they stretch!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Try these - they will work great  with the clip on , or grolsch washer....or even a Dunlop straplock too
    They are my favourite with or without a locking bit as they are a good size

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jim-Dunlop-Straplok-Straplock-ready-buttons-dual-design-new-/170658783732

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the input guys.  As a short term fix I think I'm going to use the little plastic Dunlop strap lock.  Remove the strap button, put it on and just leave the strap on the guitar.  What I don't want to be doing is screwing and unscrewing the strap button regularly so it starts to get loose.

The irony here is that the bigger strap button is usually on more expensive guitars and intended to solve the problem of straps coming off too easily, but I think it creates a bigger problem than it solves by ruling out some low fuss solutions that may be low tech but are better than just a bigger button.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Never needed to use anything with my PRS guitars. A decent quality strap with nice thick leather ends stays on fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That was my thinking until the guitar fell off its strap a couple of days ago.  Luckily I reacted fast enough to catch it so no damage done.  It's an old Comfort Strapp, not the most stylish but I like it better than any fancier straps I've had and I don't want to ditch it just because the leather is soft.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited March 2017
    That must be really annoying.

If it was me I would be investigating the USA made Lock-It guitar straps. If you look at the FAQ it says that their strap fits the larger PRS button.
    If you look at the Reviews part of the website the first endorsement is from Paul Reed Smith.  o

The UK distributor is Rosetti. Some versions are a bit pricey but the cheap nylon one might be worth a punt at £22? Choice of colours.
    Rosetti have online ordering but the basket is then asking for "Trade sign in".
    Maybe you could ring them and ask who has stock.

BTW I have never even seen one of these, let alone owned one. I am interested (in locking straps) because keeping the original buttons is almost a fetish for me. I use the Planet Waves Locking Strap on Gibson guitars and often suggest them to people.

http://lockitstraps.com/

http://www.rosetti.co.uk/lock-it 

Yeah I saw the lock-its when I was looking for self-locking straps a couple of years ago,  but couldn't find much if any information or feedback on them.  To add to the confusion there's something very similar called the Eagle Mountain lock-it which looks like it might be the same thing made under licence in the UK.  But thanks for the reminder, I'll have a closer look at these.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3585
    In the end I went Dunlop and fitted new buttons to all the guitars. Each guitar has it's own strap but it can come off for easier packing in the case. Simple efficient and excellent value/ROI.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Dunlop Straplocks, lower profile.

Used to have the ones where you puled the pin to remove the strap but was paranoid it would get knocked or damaged if the guitar was placed end down.