Dillema!

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
edited March 2017 in Acoustics
I have a Lowden 023 which I love, but i find it quite hard to play and I could never pin down why. It's also quite a big beast, so I recently bought a small bodied acoustic with a short scale (Martin 00-16). The idea was to use the 00-16 for practice and as it has a pickup, to use it for open mics and acoustic gigs as well, considering it cost a lot less than the Lowden is worth.

I've finally been able to narrow down what it is that was affecting the 'feel' for me - the Martin neck is a soft V (modified oval I think they call it) and the nut width is 1 11/16ths (2mm narrower than the Lowden). When I pick up the Lowden now, I notice it's the width of the neck as much as the profile that is affecting my comfort. Oddly, though the Martin appears to be a narrower playing space, I find my fingering is more accurate than with the wider Lowden.

Here's the Dilema - I really love the way the Lowden sounds - big, open, balanced and with strong bottom and a quite prominent yet sweet top end. The Martin is all - Mahogany and much smaller so sounds smaller, and has a diminished bass and more subdued treble compared to the Lowden. It still sounds lovely, just very different.

Obviously i'm never going to get the small bodied guitar to sound like the Lowden, and I won't get the Lowden to 'feel' like the Martin. For me, the feel is probably the bigger aspect - I simply  can't play the Lowden as well as the Martin. 

Should I sell the Lowden as the feel will never be right, and seek out something with the right sound and feel, or keep it and hope my technique improves to the extent that I can make it work for me?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Drastic idea: have the Lowden's neck narrowed - if I remember rightly it's not bound. Still not a totally trivial job but it can be done, and you're only talking about 1mm each side. It will need to taper from the body joint to the nut, but over that distance it should still feel natural.

The downside is that you may still not like it, and it's possible it could change the sound a bit - by removing mass from the neck - and it's irreversible, obviously.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    I'd say to improve on the Lowden you'll need to play it more. If you're not going to do that as you prefer your other guitar, then maybe it's not worth keeping it. Definitely if it's not getting played at all. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    ICBM said:
    Drastic idea: have the Lowden's neck narrowed - if I remember rightly it's not bound. Still not a totally trivial job but it can be done, and you're only talking about 1mm each side. It will need to taper from the body joint to the nut, but over that distance it should still feel natural.

The downside is that you may still not like it, and it's possible it could change the sound a bit - by removing mass from the neck - and it's irreversible, obviously.
    Yes, it's an unbound neck. It's an option but maybe a bit too drastic :)

I've actually been playing the Lowden quite a lot recently, and i'm not improving on it at all :) In fact I feel like i've been overly committed / bought-in to owning a Lowden when probably it's just the wrong guitar for what i'm doing. Perhaps this is just the result of me spending more time playing acoustics and starting to develop a personal preference.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I have the same problem with Lowdens.  The necks are just too wide for me.  I did talk them at the Olympia Acoustic Guitar Show the year before last and they did say you can order one with a narrower neck as a custom order.

The problem for you is that you would take a big financial hit selling yours second hand and buying a new one.  Also, I'd be reluctant to spend that kind of money on something I couldn't try first.

Failing that you could look at other guitars. The Martin HD28V has a 1 11/16 nut width and a V neck.  It won't sound like a Lowden but it will sound a lot fuller than the OO-16.

I'm sure there are other guitars out there that are options as well.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308

This is very much a first world problem - and affluence / to much choice is the culprit.

I’ve commented on similar ‘problems’ before, e.g. -

say u’r born into an Andalucia family / culture - you want to play music, just like your adult roll models - you just play the traditional flamenco guitar - with the ergonomics of the traditional flamenco guitar - no problems, no issues. Same applies to any other musical traditions - fiddles , mandolins, harps - wind instruments - pianos / accordions blah blah blah.

good topic over on AGF today - and it’s by a fellow UK’er Silly Moustache, -

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464049

excerpt -

OK, I'm in pain, the weather has turned bad, and I'm cranky. (I'm also old!) 

I've just read another "I have this, but want another guitar ...what should I buy?" 

or "I have a xxxx guitar - so what strings should I put on it?" 

Yeah I know this is a guitar forum, and so it is the place to discuss things, but, yes, I'm being cranky .......but HOW in the name of (insert deity of choice) can, or even should I tell someone who doesn't know what he/she wants - what they should buy? 

There is only one practical answer - "go research what you want and then go try out the options in your budget!"

Strings ? "Put on the strings that you prefer". 

Next? 

Seriously, if you are dissatisfied with the instrument that you have and desire a replacement then surely ther are some basic steps to follow: 

1. Analyse what it is that you Don't like about your current instrument. 

2. Understand what it is that would make your guitar playing easier, more comfortable, louder, tonally better etc. 

3. Understand how much you might be able to sell/trade the old one for. 

4. Look (online is fine) for products that might well fit your desires of dimensions, woods (if that is important to you) overall soud...and fits your budget.

5. Make a list of likely purchases. 

6. Try them out ! 

For me in the UK that means find where they might be, and phone, then visit the shop (store). We don't do this "order from a distance and return if you don't like it" stuff - at least not that I'm aware. 

Take your old guitar, with nice new strings etc - do an A-B.

Decide if the new item REALLY suits you. 

Trade or buy. (Get it set up if they know what they are doing - or go to someone you trust) 

Go home. 

Play. 

Obviously you can ask me (and 100,000 other guitarists) what they would like, but I can't tell you what YOU would like. 

Get off my drive (I don't have a front lawn). 

Silly Moustache, 

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I think the problem here is familiarity, if you are playing the Martin a lot then the switch to the 45mm nut width on the Lowden will feel awkward in comparison. I have the same problem when I switch from playing my D28 (43mm) to my OM with a 44.5mm nut. Put the Martin away and concentrate on the Lowden for a few weeks and you may find you do not have any problem at all. Regards, body shape sit on a higher chair or use a strap and stand up and you may feel less cramped.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I find I can swap between different feeling necks pretty easily - my Martin has a much thinner neck than my main Strat for example - but the difference really doesn't bother me. I have a resonator with a massive neck - and a Taylor GS Mini which is like a toothpick.

So I reckon I'm pretty immune to major differences - yet occasionally I've played a guitar and instantly thought 'I really can't get on with this neck'. The last time that happened, it was a Lowden. To be honest, I didn't really analyse what about it I didn't like - but it really felt odd to me.

Lowdens tend to be highly sought after - so personally I'd sell it and use the money to buy something which suits you better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    edited May 2017
    I've gone back to the Lowden again after some experimenting and it really sounds bloody fantastic, especially in depth and(tight) bass. Can I get more facility with that neck though, that is the question. I think the flatter than usual radius is a factor, as well as the width. Need to try with a strap to see if standing aids comfort.