SRV... What a pro

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Guitar tFB Trader

Have you seen this...  He breaks a string mid solo and changes guitar without missing a beat..  just amazing

Then theres this one.. Not as smooth but I love the way he continues exactly where he left off, even playing behind his back :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Pretty much re-invented a dying genre. Legend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    the way he plays at a level 8 million times higher than I will ever play, but behind his back is somewhat humbling. Beast!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    Some people just take to it like very few can. To have seen him/them live would have been experience like no other. IMHO The Master. Music seemed to just flow from him, Life without You rips me up every time I hear it! 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    That's the first time I've seen that guitar make an appearance. 

Theres a similar clip of BB King changing a string mid song too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Great talent , gone way too soon. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26576
    edited March 2017
    That first one is brilliant, but...there's something hinky about the audio when he gets the new guitar - you hear him go back into the 12-bar two beats before he (visually) starts playing.
    <space for hire>
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    One of the nice things about fixed bridges... string break nor a massive issue.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I think his roadie deserves a bit of the credit, too.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Sassafras said:
    I think his roadie deserves a bit of the credit, too.

Yep, he knows which side to take the old one from, where to put the new one, and how to help with the strap without getting in the way.  Probably done it many times!

(Fantastic vid though.)

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

You'd think he could afford a second strap though! :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    What?? He can't afford two straps??
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I really enjoyed that actually. I was a massive fan up to his death, but I've not played his stuff so much since. Real cool to see him again. I'm so glad to have caught him live a few times. Sad loss.

Anyway, yeah real smooth changeover. Nice keys from Reece as well.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited March 2017
    :grey_question: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    SRV=Pure Class
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

^^ Well 5 springs and mains cable for strings is almost a fixed bridge? :lol:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    :grey_question: 
    siraxeman said:

^^ Well 5 springs and mains cable for strings is almost a fixed bridge? :lol:

I only watched the first one and I was surprised at the lack of any tuning problems breaking a string on a guitar fitted with a (left handed) trem but I guess, yeah, heavy strings, all the springs - well, it obviously worked! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited March 2017
    Trem hard to the body and tunings not gonna budge - it can't fall back and pull the other strings sharp as one does when floating and the resistance is lessened ie when a string breaks. The D tuner on some Floyd trems works on the same principle - they wouldn't work on a floating system.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    I still remember the day my best friend Vic rang me up and said " You've just got to see this video I've borrowed " . . .  It was "Live at the El Mocambo"  . . . I shot over to Vic's place immediately after my tea and we both watched the video from beginning to end . . my first time and Vic's second . . . I still get the goose bumps when I watch it . . . The world was robbed !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited March 2017
    I'm kind of with @Axisus - I've barely listened to him since his death.

I had tickets to see him in (I think) '86 when his dates were cancelled due to ill-health - i.e. drug problems - so I never got to see him play.

I got the impression with In Step that he was moving on to a new level. Like the death of any great musician - the loss of the rest of their career is the real tragedy for fans. His total recording career was about 6 years - the next 6 years may well have been even better....
    maw4neu said:
    I still remember the day my best friend Vic rang me up and said " You've just got to see this video I've borrowed " . . .  It was "Live at the El Mocambo"  . . . I shot over to Vic's place immediately after my tea and we both watched the video from beginning to end . . my first time and Vic's second . . . I still get the goose bumps when I watch it . . . The world was robbed !

I got that on DVD...had it on VHS way back when ya know....his Voodoo Chile Slight Return is better than Jimi's recorded version IMO and way way better than any live version Jimi ever did. Amazing player.