Which Guv'nor?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited March 2017 in FX
After reading that Gary Moore used a Marshall Guv'nor along with a JTM45 on the still got the blues album I thought I'd like a piece of that! So, which Guv'nor to go for? A MK1 U.K made one or Korean built? Or the later MK2+? What are the pro's and cons to each one and what price would I be looking at for a good one? Your help is as always greatly appreciated.

Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Get a Mk1. Either will sound great.

Don't forget that GM's sound came from a cranked and boosted (with the Guv) Marshall  at high volume, sitting at home/in a quiet rehearsal room won't sound exactly like him.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I had a Guv'nor MkII for years and absolutely loved it. Was my main OD/Distortion though, wasn't boosting anything. Wow, them were the days! The simpler life!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    The MkI is better with an overdriven amp - up to cranked vintage Marshall levels, maybe up to 2203 - the MkII is better as a full-on 'Marshall in a box' into a clean amp.

There's no circuit difference between the UK and Korean MkIs, although from memory there is a small difference in the components - not sure I would describe it as a 'quality' difference but they're not quite identical-looking. They sound the same, within the variation of normal component tolerances.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've said it before but I prefer the Mk1 by a mile, however it always comes down to your own ears.  What I will say about them though:

The mk1's are getting old now and can be a bit crackly or noisy, so if can try one before purchase I would recommend it.

The mk2 has the usual problem of not being able to see where the knobs are set when you're more than 50cm away from it.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thankyou for your input chaps, I think a MK1 may just be on the horizon. It's funny, I said I was getting a JTM45 to play purely without pedals and I'm already looking for a second pedal and I haven't even got the bloomin amp yet! 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I've had 2 Mk 1's at the same time - a UK and a Korean - they side by side sounded identical. So don't fuss if you are looking for one. Its just folks think the Korean is inferior...but the truth is it isn't.

Mk 2 - (still got), good pedal, far more powerful EQ but a different sounding pedal...still great though! Just differenter.

Gary used a mark 1.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^   This thread is about a Marshall Guv'nor, not a Way Huge Swollen Pickle.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    I just saw a UK MkI in the classifieds.

I have a Korean MkI - it's great. I think I saw an A/B demo video of UK/Korean on Youtube which seemed to prove no audible difference. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    Another option is that lots of pedals are based on the guvnor like the crunch box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7402
    Yeah but the Guvnor looks cool :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    That's true but most are a bit rattly these days and they are getting expensive.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited March 2017
    I agree with ICBM

Had a couple of Mk1s - great giving a kick to an already crunchy amp - used mine with a JCM900 and a Peavey 5150 combo (Clean channel run fairly crunchy)

Used a MK2 into a clean JTM60 and that also sounded fab as a MIAB

Didn`t like the MK1 running into a clean amp at all.