Fender American Vintage Finish

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
About a year ago I was looking into getting an AV strat and remember reading that Fender use a 'flash coat lacquer' that, in many cases, had begun to chip off after a matter of weeks or months... almost as if the lacquer hadn't taken to the wood properly. Most of the discussions I read on this topic were 4 or 5 years old. Does anyone know whether Fender have addressed this issue in recent years or does the lacquer continue to chip off?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    edited March 2017
    Pretty sure it's by design to a great extent. Just bought one myself, and the paintwork is very very thin - lovely though. Ten times nicer than the supposed nitro of the old AVRI series (I have both, and the AVRI is barely different to Poly, whereas my AV65 is noticeably nicer in every way). 

I think the idea is that they age more authentically. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I had a 2013 Pure Vintage US Strat and it seemed to mark if you looked at it for too long - the most fragile finish I've ever encountered on an electric guitar.

I don't know if this has changed - but I'm not a fan of it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've got an early 2000s AVRI that marks a lot easier than a poly finish.  I know it might not satisfy the purists and there may be a poly coat underneath but it is still nitro.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited March 2017
    I got one a month or so ago. Already added two significant chips in the paint just by looking directly at it...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive got a 2013 AVRI 59 strat in sonic blue with a mint pickguard, i play it a lot... but honestly other than a few small dings it still looks perfect... i honestly havent noticed an issue with the thin skin...and if hold your ear to the body you can hear it breathing....and talking....it tells me to buy more gear...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I remember the finish on the old Highway 1 was advertised as being exceptionally thin, maybe "tone" related, but it certainly wore in quickly..........
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    I've got the AVRI 64 Tele and yes the lacquer is very thin. It started to chip as soon as I brought it home.  But for me that's part of it's charm...  I want it to look relic-ed.