Kidney Stones - what fun!

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
Spent a lovely afternoon in Q.A. Hospital, Portsmouth off my tits on Diclofenac trying to pass a kidney stone. 

After half and hour rolling around in A&E and politely responding NOOOOOOOOOO! every time a nurse asked if I'd had any pain relief yet (4 times), I finally got the back passage beauty I needed and the sweet, sweet medication worked it's magic.

Never experienced consistent, unremitting pain like it before, but as soon as it passed I was fine.

Anyone had the pleasure?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Urgh, sounds horrendous!  I thought they treated them with ultrasound these days, to break them into small(er) chunks?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    About ten years ago I had a succession of stones, enough to make a fair-sized rockery. The pain was unbelievable. Tramadol and Diclofenac helped, but they zombified me.

This year, by way of a nice change, I had an op to remove a stone in my bladder.

Variety is the spice of life!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    By the time they got me in the scanner - waited an hour for a Porter who eventually turned up stinking of fags - I'd passed it. If they find a few they can ultrasound them but 90% pass naturally. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    scrumhalf said:
    About ten years ago I had a succession of stones, enough to make a fair-sized rockery. The pain was unbelievable. Tramadol and Diclofenac helped, but they zombified me.

This year, by way of a nice change, I had an op to remove a stone in my bladder.

Variety is the spice of life!
    Been there ; Fuck ,the pain is terrible...........I was sick non stop from pain
    Then they gave me Pethadin and a short while later about 20 monkeys came and sat on my bed with a traditional wicker picnic hamper .........one of them played the guitar and one had an accordian ;they were rowdy but they had the loveliest of food .At the same time a conveyor belt started up on the window sill next to the bed with little cuddly toys on it and every so often a great big malted chocolate shake with cream and Marshmallows on top which the monkeys kept stealing until a Walrus dressed as a policeman came and electrocuted them with a cattle prod .
     Fuck........that Pethadin was amazing !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    Spent a lovely afternoon in Q.A. Hospital, Portsmouth off my tits on Diclofenac trying to pass a kidney stone. 

After half and hour rolling around in A&E and politely responding NOOOOOOOOOO! every time a nurse asked if I'd had any pain relief yet (4 times), I finally got the back passage beauty I needed and the sweet, sweet medication worked it's magic.

Never experienced consistent, unremitting pain like it before, but as soon as it passed I was fine.

Anyone had the pleasure?

Yes. Not good. Missed the only gig ever. Discovered Morphine though, nom.

Also, lost 2lbs in a week. Result!

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I had a week of it, codeine for me, the pain came in waves, never felt pain like it, literally rolling around on the floor, the stone was tiny but pointy.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 981
    I too have had the , err, pleasure...

Sadly I missed the theraputic medicinals and spent twenty hours alternately purging from various orifaces and generally gibbering and sobbing, even letting a greek locum put his finger up my bum at the promise of pain relief drugs to follow.  Still don't know if he was a real doc...

On the plus side my mother in law has had a similar experience.

No, I'm not Les Dawson's reincarnation.  She passed on the rather handy data that it's way, way worse than child birth.  It's killed quite a few whines over the years.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited March 2017
    Twice and I've never experienced pain like it. Lithotripsy did the trick which is basically like a rock shaker.

They reckon that once you've had them, and pretty irrespective of diet, you'll probably get them again within 5 years.

I know women who've given birth and had kidney stones and by their own admission, the latter is far more painful!

Glad it's passed
    5 years? crap. Strangely when the Mrs rang the NHS to find out why I was rolling around on the floor screaming and crying like a little girl they diagnosed it as kidney stones by way of a few questions, one of which was ''is he in the building trade'', which I was. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited March 2017
    Ive had two.  Ten years apart.  First passed within a few hours of writhing agony that the morphine only took the edge off.  Second one got stuck half way to my bladder, tearing its way down over the course of two weeks.  There was blood, lots and lots of blood.  Pissing blood is not fun. Scan showed it was 9mm across, just under the 10mm where surgery is required.  They used drugs to loosed my tubes and a couple of ultrasounds to try to break it up.  When it came out it did so in a big chunk. with more blood.   But i was fine after that.   

edited March 2017

even letting a greek locum put his finger up my bum at the promise of pain relief drugs to follow.  Still don't know if he was a real doc...
    @Headphones ..Err yeah. Sorry about that but I thought I'd help a fellow forumite out!

@robgilmo ; - out of interest, what's the link to being in the building trade?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Glad I haven't had them (touch wood).
    Where does it hurt?
    Is it bladder, or in your back?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    One of the side-effects for me was the bruising. I was so out of it from the Tramadol that i was bumping into walls and doors in my flat.

Strangely, the bladder stone was pain free, unless you count the bowel-loosening terror of pissing blood.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    A colleague told me that they handle them over here by putting a crate of Hefeweizen (wheat beer) next to your bed in the hospital and telling you to be a good boy and drink the lot.
    edited March 2017
    @Octatonic - It's on your flank and round the back (basically, where your kidneys are) and normally just on the side of the stone.

I don't know about others here but I was continually vomitting as well and that's from the build up of toxins if the stone obstructs and causes a back-up of fluids in your tubes.

The ripping, pissing blood etc isn't good and I was also delirious. Given I couldn't keep oral morphine down, the nurse injected me but decided to more or less stab me in the muscle of my arm with the needle to introduce it a lot quicker. My wife said I was in so much kidney pain, I didn't even flinch at the nurse's action.

It isn't a nice thing and some people get stones from oxalates (calcium rich foods) and there's nothing unhealthy about their source e.g. legumes, leafy greens, berries. I do happen to eat these as there have other health benefits. I don't have an unhealthy diet or high dairy or caffeine intake and drink a lot of water i.e. stay hydrated, so it's just one of those things.
    Kebabkid said:

even letting a greek locum put his finger up my bum at the promise of pain relief drugs to follow.  Still don't know if he was a real doc...
    @Headphones ..Err yeah. Sorry about that but I thought I'd help a fellow forumite out!

@robgilmo ; - out of interest, what's the link to being in the building trade?

I have really no clue, Ive thought perhaps using lime or something but really I don't know, I was way too busy being in agony to ask at the time.