Arthur Writus!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
Seems l have succumbed to a visit from Uncle Arthur. I had some massive pain in my right hip and groin and it turns out that the evil old sod has taken up residence. The doc prescribed some major painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs so thing have calmed down now, but it's wrecking my attempt to be the next Steve Gadd on my new electric drum kit as my hip starts to give me grief when playing the bass drum, unless I use the heal-down technique.

Any other old boys out there starting to feel the wear and tear?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    after battling with appointments and tests for about a year now I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left index finger, with supposedly more to come.

a bit of a weird one as I'm only 23, my index finger joint randomly started to hurt a year or so ago, heavy-painkillers, x-ray, supplements, stopping playing guitar and blood test didn't help/provide any answers. 

after lots of smart people um'ing an er'ing about it, it's been somewhat concluded that it's just wear and tear from playing guitar. I'm pretty worried about what my hands will be like in 10 years time as I struggle to make a fist with the affected finger.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    My left knee has given up the ghost after an ACL op 12 yrs ago,its full of Arthritis now. (I'm 45 this year)

What I've found now is that my fingers and thumbs sprain a lot easier than they used to. If I'm toy fighting with the kids I always hurt my digits.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    My left knee has given up the ghost after an ACL op 12 yrs ago,its full of Arthritis now. (I'm 45 this year)

What I've found now is that my fingers and thumbs sprain a lot easier than they used to. If I'm toy fighting with the kids I always hurt my digits.
    Time to use toy weapons then. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I'm just grateful it's not in my hands, though a mate of mine said he was surprised that I didn't have it bad in my left wrist.. whatever he means? 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Yep, a very particular kind of Arthur but it is degenerative and could make me a miserable git, luckily I'm a f#cking ray of sunshine.
    I know of one other member here that suffers with the same, don't get old kids it's a trap (although as my grandad always said there are plenty in the graveyard that would swap with you - him too know I suspect).

For me standing for a long period slowly turns to agony and has made standing beyound 2x45 sets difficult at times (so I take a stool for later). Also in cold damp periods my hands pain me and make playing less comfortable.

Proper exercises and anti inflamatory medication is your best friend. (That and beer)
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    I shall be going into hospital to be sliced open on the 4th to have my right hip replaced thanks to Arthur moving in, and apparently he's moved into the left one as well. I'm actually looking forward to it now as having been on Tramadol for the past month has made me a tired moaning old git, so I'm told.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Got it in both hands and can't stretch on a guitar anymore. Having to use pinky a lot more. :/
  • One of the main reasons why I am retiring from playing is my arthritis. Mine is a particular type that hits you at 40. So almost 15 years down the line I have defied most prognosis of being in a wheel chair and certainly not playing guitar that's for sure. 
    The guitar playing has helped me as excercise for all joints is very important, you have to keep moving them. 
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Arthur took up residence in my right ankle about 18 months ago and has established regular pain in my left shoulder since the new year.

My cantankerous demeanor when in pain is identical to a good day :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Skateboarding  has fairly knackered my body, had a 'routine' hip x-ray a year or so ago and diagnosed with moderate arthritis which surprised me as my hips have never given me any grief and still haven't. It'll catch up with me one day though.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    Left knee has recently decided to be come very painful, wakes me up at night. Going to have to go to quack soon, I reckon it's arthur

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Hope I never get it in the hands. My right hand middle knuckle has been delicate for about a year. Acoustic fingerpicking? Tapping a phone screen? 
    Sorry to hear about your arthritis :(