Audio issues recording video

What's Hot
BensonBenson Frets: 242
edited March 2017 in Studio & Recording

Hi,

I'm goofing around with a new camera and getting less than stellar results recording high gain samples. 

The link below is a sample of me working up a song for my band and thought I'd record it, the problem is once I go hi gain at 1:16 there seems to be some sort of phase cancellation effect in place that sounds like the audio is fading in and out in.

I'm using a Fractal Ax8 into two Atomic CLRs. One of the CLRs are mic'd with an Sm57 going into my camera (in fact if you look you can see them in the background). 

All effects and switching is done real time with the Ax8, nothing post. Should I switch off the second CLR? (And before someone says I can't try it now as I'm away for a bit)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRYBaSEtbE 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    So you're recording. The audio into the camera? I think you're going to get better results recording the audio into a daw then sync the video ... 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    mrleon83 said:
    So you're recording. The audio into the camera? I think you're going to get better results recording the audio into a daw then sync the video ... 
    Definitley

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    edited March 2017
    I don't think its phasing. its almost like the compressor/limiter on your camera is shitting itself when the audio peaks? As monitored above record the audio separately to a daw and then sync the separate audio to your video and cancel the audio from your camera (or use it sparingly as an "ambient sound")
    How very rock and roll
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Thanks all, going into a DAW is probably more effort than I was planning for just to mock up a few band ideas but I appreciate the guidance. 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Just a thought, wasn't there a product by focusrite that you could use with smart phones/tablets that gave you great audio? That would do the job for you. Was it called the itrack or something like that?
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Just a thought, wasn't there a product by focusrite that you could use with smart phones/tablets that gave you great audio? That would do the job for you. Was it called the itrack or something like that?
    Good shout! Hadn't heard of it until now but just googled it and it looks interesting. Also considering the Zoon Q2N too.