Idea - making a doppler loudspeaker that isn't a Leslie

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Nomad said:

There used to be a budget Leslie that only had the big speaker (but full range) and rotor - no horn assembly. It didn'thave the characteristic sound. (It was bland shite, if I'm honest - when I bought my Hammond A100, that was the speaker on offer with it, and I turned it down. I later got a Leslie 145 which is bass rotor and horn, and has The Sound.)

I'm not sure about that.

The Fender Vibratone has no horn and sounds great, as does my Vibratone replica. Sure, it will sound different to 2-rotor Leslie unit, but it still sounds great

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    As a cheap, lo-fi experiment, what about fixing a cheap tube-shaped bluetooth speaker onto a turntable with a high rpm and putting a strong cardboard box over the top with one side where you can cut apertures of different shapes and swap to see the effect?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I had a single-rotor Leslie - it sounded OK rather than great. Part of the beauty of the twin-rotor ones is simply that the rotors turn at different speeds, as well as with different frequencies - that makes the result a lot more complex and swirly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited March 2017
    could you not dangle some kind of spinning cylindrical lampshade over it with holes cut out of it, to block & reveal?
    or have some kind of bellows pump that sucked air in & out across the face of the speaker, or around the cabinet?
    since the speaker needs a power supply that is the thing i would be least inclined to move.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited March 2017
    Mesa (briefly) offered a rotating speaker cabinet called the Revolver. No rotors—the speaker itself rotated. I’ve heard claims about unreliability of one kind or another, and was always curious to try one, but I’ve never come across one in person.

Demo here:

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    These were made around 2008 and eventually the guy went out of biz as they were very fragile but amazing sounding.

http://www.giampaolonoto.it/tolerance-sound-revolver-recensione-ed-intervista/

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

I would definitely not want to run a valve amp through anything where the speaker is connected by a moving contact. It's just asking for trouble sooner or later.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    ICBM said:
    I would definitely not want to run a valve amp through anything where the speaker is connected by a moving contact. It's just asking for trouble sooner or later.
    If you were making something Heath Robinson style I'd agree, but slip rings are a widely used solution.  Moog offer military grade slip rings.
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 888
    edited March 2017
    Would it be possible to have a flexible tube spinning round like kids used to (still do?) do with hoover tubes (sing down it while whirling the other end round your head).

You could have the speaker in a small box pointing upwards into some flexible ducting mounted on a turntable, like a freaky elephant waving its trunk in the air.  Speaker wouldn't have to move so contacts wouldn't be a problem, and the ducting could be folded up for transport.

You could call it a lesliphant or a vibrophant or a dopplophant or something.

But if the leslie sound depended on having two rotors that may not be practical.
    ICBM said:
    I had a single-rotor Leslie - it sounded OK rather than great. Part of the beauty of the twin-rotor ones is simply that the rotors turn at different speeds, as well as with different frequencies - that makes the result a lot more complex and swirly.
    Was it full-range? The Vibratone is supposed to be run through a crossover so it only handles mids. Mine doesn't, and it sounds great! 

R. 

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    ICBM said:
    Was it full-range? The Vibratone is supposed to be run through a crossover so it only handles mids. Mine doesn't, and it sounds great! 

R. 

I was wondering about crossovers - am I right in thinking that it is unusual to have a crossover anywhere near a guitar speaker setup?
    I've only ever seen them with the Vibratone. 

R. 

edited March 2017

some kind of channelling & pressurising archimedes screw system?
    water & air share similar properties in the way they can be controlled & manipulated by such a technology.
    ICBM said:
    Was it full-range?
    Supposedly, although with just a 12" driver (I think with a 'whizzer' cone but I might be wrong - and probably barely audible via the rotor anyway even if it did) and no tweeter it's debatable. As far as I can remember it was a model 825.