Morgan OD Pedal

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1463
edited March 2017 in FX
Anyone got one or know what it is based on?

I have one and it is fooking brilliant, just wondered if it is a copy of an existing pedal that I have missed over the years.

http://morganamps.com/pedals/morgan-overdrive/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2017
    I had one.

Low gain overdrive and it sounded superb in the shop when plugged into a Morgan. Nice bark, presence and felt good on both chords and lead lines.

Got it home and plugged it into my own amp (Divided by 13 JRT 9/15), which takes pedals beautifully and has both a 6V6 and EL84 side and it wasn't great on either. Tried it through a mate's Princeton and Carr Rambler and the same. Away from the shop, I experienced some fizz and it was quite brittle-sounding. Even turning it up didn't yield any better results so I returned it to the shop.

@Photek - What amp are you using it through?

I don't know what it's based on but it's quite a pricey pedal and based on my own experience, I'd suggest to anyone interested that they try it with different amps in the shop. I believe both Andertons and Guitar Guitar stock them and they also stock Morgan Amps so I'd also try it with a Morgan to see if there's a difference. Better still, if you have a pedlaboard, take that as well (that's what I do) and see if it sits well with your board.

To be honest, it has some bark to it (think the Stones etc) but I don't necessarily think it's any better than a Liquid Sunshine, cranked RC Booster or Pork Loin. In fact, the RC and Pork Loin as well as Catalinbread's lovely Formula 5FS have more versatile tone-shaping and do a similar thing, especially the latter in the low gain registers. I've had all of these pedals and I'm going back to the Pork Loin (when I can find one) as for me, it was the best of the lot and stacked really well with other pedals.

There's a NAMM video with "Dutch" Pete playing through Morgan Amps and pedals and you get to hear it then and it sounds lovely.

Glad it's worked well for you as it's a nice pedal when works well with your set up or the right stuff.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    photek said:
    Anyone got one or know what it is based on?

I have one and it is fooking brilliant, just wondered if it is a copy of an existing pedal that I have missed over the years.

http://morganamps.com/pedals/morgan-overdrive/
    Can you post a gut shot? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I will open it up later and see if it's gooped lol.

Interesting, I have only played it through driven / broken up amps (Marshall jubilee, JTM45, Blackstar HT1) as I figured that was what it was designed for, it works superbly for this, adding something I like a lot.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Aha. Mine was a totally clean amp but it did stack reasonably well with an 808 and OCD.