Iconic pics that sum up guitar rock n roll?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Image result for willie nelson
    not sure it sums up rock n roll guitar - but still iconic - maybe the most instantly recognizable acoustic guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    How strange… there is one pic that sums up rock'n'roll better than any other I've ever seen, and I just can't find it online no matter how I mess about with search terms. It must exist because it's the basis for several pieces of artwork.

It's Elvis, playing (I think) his D-18. He's standing with his knees slightly together, head facing to his right and looking down, right hand on the guitar, left hand holding a mic stand at an angle. Probably from around 1955-56.

It must have been in a book I read about music as a child I think - it's magical and captures the sheer rebellious coolness of rock'n'roll (and Elvis of course) perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Here's another fave...

Image result for mick jones clash
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They were banging on a bit there but the raw impact of Iggy and the Stooges is still extant.

Image result for iggy and the stooges
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Image result for beatles get back rooftopImage result for beatles live
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Moss said:
    Brilliant
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4668
    edited March 2017
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    jpttaylor said:
    Yes it's a bassist but it still counts
    Why?

What's actually rock and roll about smashing a guitar? All it is (IMHO) is a rather sad and tragic, not to mention cliched, expression of "rebellion" (except it's been done to death so it's not even rebellious) and also a pointless waste of a perfectly good instrument.

I assume the people doing it think it makes them look primal and uncontrollable, but it usually either looks like a petulant tantrum or like they're going through the motions.

It was cool maybe the occasional time the Who did it, and when Hendrix set the Strat on fire, but that's pretty much it.

It's especially not cool when it's an endorsement guitar (Billie Joe Armstrong smashing up CS Les Paul Juniors that Gibson gave him - nothing is less rock and roll than a millionaire smashing a free guitar) or when it's someone else's guitar (Prince smashing Kirk Douglas's 1961 Epiphone Crestwood on TV).

Basically, anyone who does it and thinks it's cool needs to grow the fuck up.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I think it's pretty cool, anyone who doesn't needs to chill the fuck out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Bucket said:
    jpttaylor said:
    Yes it's a bassist but it still counts
    Why?

What's actually rock and roll about smashing a guitar? All it is (IMHO) is a rather sad and tragic, not to mention cliched, expression of "rebellion" (except it's been done to death so it's not even rebellious) and also a pointless waste of a perfectly good instrument.

I assume the people doing it think it makes them look primal and uncontrollable, but it usually either looks like a petulant tantrum or like they're going through the motions.

It was cool maybe the occasional time the Who did it, and when Hendrix set the Strat on fire, but that's pretty much it.

It's especially not cool when it's an endorsement guitar (Billie Joe Armstrong smashing up CS Les Paul Juniors that Gibson gave him - nothing is less rock and roll than a millionaire smashing a free guitar) or when it's someone else's guitar (Prince smashing Kirk Douglas's 1961 Epiphone Crestwood on TV).

Basically, anyone who does it and thinks it's cool needs to grow the fuck up.
    Bollocks.. it's rock n' roll mate!
    Plus.. a bit of glue and a touch of paint = a bargain!  ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That Clash cover just sums up that time and music perfectly.

The fact it possibly lead to Greenday pretending to do it doesn't change that.....that Clash photo is pure don't give a shit rock'n'roll 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

Well as far as blues goes, and as we all know there would be no rock without the blues.. Well not as we know it...

It all started with this man Robert Johnson....

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/2008 standard/308_robert-johnson-min_zpsmc2q7bqf.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader

Apparently he sold his soul to the devil at the Crossroads

Then Ralph Macchio    (while Steve Vai is the devils play thing)

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited March 2017

edited March 2017
    That Clash cover just sums up that time and music perfectly.

The fact it possibly lead to Greenday pretending to do it doesn't change that.....that Clash photo is pure don't give a shit rock'n'roll 
    Yep, anybody who was there at the time or has any affinity towards that original punk music will surely understand and enjoy that pic of Paul Simonon going barmy with his bass.

Image result for the clash playing