Chibson's, how do they always get the basics so wrong?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
So I see Chibson's here and there, in listings etc, and the one thing that always strikes me is how so many of them get things that seem so basic wrong?

Normally things like the body not actually being the right shape, or the really common one which is the positioning of the knobs and their position relative to the tailpiece.

Shouldn't these things be first on the list of making a replica? If they're churning them out, can't they CNC them to the correct specs?

I'm surprised we haven't reached a point yet where a company in China is making Chibson's that are really close to the real thing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I can only assume that accuracy isn't important. They aren't making a replica, just something close enough, with the right logo, and cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I can only assume that accuracy isn't important. They aren't making a replica, just something close enough, with the right logo, and cheap.
    Exactly right.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Jack_ said:
    So I see Chibson's here and there, in listings etc, and the one thing that always strikes me is how so many of them get things that seem so basic wrong?

Normally things like the body not actually being the right shape, or the really common one which is the positioning of the knobs and their position relative to the tailpiece.

Shouldn't these things be first on the list of making a replica? If they're churning them out, can't they CNC them to the correct specs?

I'm surprised we haven't reached a point yet where a company in China is making Chibson's that are really close to the real thing?
    Maybe Gibson's own QC is holding the counterfeiters back? There was an advert from a retailer  last week with three used standards together and each of them had the controls in slightly different places. On a related note how often do you see a post about neck angles varying from LP to LP?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Some poor homebased factory in China thinks they are doing a good job, they don't suffer from being anal about Bridge posts, binding, etc. To them it's just a product that is shiney and cheap that they can sell.
  • maybe they do make some that are spot on but we dont know because they are so good they pass. the ones we see that arnt right are just a distraction......maybe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Copying a Gibson - the Ford of guitars - did you ever find two that were identical?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Rocker said:
    Copying a Gibson - the Ford of guitars - did you ever find two that were identical?
    Yes ... and both had the strings on the front ... that's identical enough for me.
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    Gibson have undercover operatives in those chinese factories, sabotaging the products and blueprints.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I'm waiting for the plot spoiler from @Bridgehouse that Terry Morgan doesn't actually exist and it's just a ruse for some small factory in China.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited March 2017
    Rumour has it Terry Morgan created the Jesus that was released with the second coming.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Isn't it just as well they're easy to spot?
    I'm sure we don't want Terry Morgan accuracy with the potential to defraud people thinking they're buying the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Jack_ said:

How do you spot the ones where they get everything right??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    nickb_boy said:
    I'm waiting for the plot spoiler from @Bridgehouse that Terry Morgan doesn't actually exist and it's just a ruse for some small factory in China.

To be fair you never see him and the whole population of China in the same room...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    nickb_boy said:

To be fair you never see him and the whole population of China in the same room...
    That is very, very suspicious isn't it! D 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Apostrophe's, how do they always get the basics so wrong?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Gibson have undercover operatives in those chinese factories, sabotaging the products and blueprints.
    Then they go back to the Gibson USA factories, and sabotage their products and blueprints...

Thanks, I'm here all week, try the fish...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I don't make a living selling grammar, so it's allowed.
    Jack_ said:
    I don't make a living selling grammar, so it's allowed.
    I'm not sure Gibson are currently making a living selling guitars!!